cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Modem connection speed low

Hi, i have just signed up to Superfast Fibre with a download of max 76mbit. However my broadband went live today and i notice the modem on the router is capped at 52mbit, which is what BT are offering atm on their lower tier fibre, not the 76mbit it is supposed to be. Any suggestions? Thanks, Jason

12 REPLIES 12
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The distance from your house to the roadside cabinet serving it or quality of line will ultimately affect the speed you can achieve, but you should have been given an estimate of the speed when you signed up. You can also expect the speed to vary slightly in the first few days. However if you are concerned the best thing is to have a word with the Combo Team - calls are free from home phone for Combo customers and you can find the number on your My Account > My Passes page

http://account.nowtv.com/passes

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, yeah i get that im not actually going to get 76mbit, but the modem should still be set to connect at 76mbit, otherwise it never has the opportunity to get faster than its limited to. The modem connection speed isnt the speed you will get, but purely its limit.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Where are you getting the capped figure from? 

I'm not staff so I can't help you, the best thing you can do is to give the Combo Team a call as the NOW TV staff on here usually direct you to call them as well.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The figure is from the router itself. Im kind of thinking they havent put me on the 76mbit connection and rather put me on the 52mbit connection that bt/openreach offer atm, as the cap is 52mbit.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah sorry, I meant whereabouts on the router's web interface are you looking?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

under modem, it says

Modem Status: Connected

Downstream Connection Speed: 52191

Upstream Connection Speed: 19999

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

That is the actual throughput you're receiving, not a limit imposed on the modem. If you reboot the router you should see it report a slightly different figure, I'm not sure how often it refreshes that figure however.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok i will have a look when i get home, currently at work. I was led to believe by SKY who i was with before NOW TV (i know same company really) that was the modem sync speed and would be what your limit was, as was at 39999 and 9999 when i was on there 38mbit package. Thanks, Jason

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  The  way it was described to me when I was getting my line troubleshooted (I also had poor fibre speeds but the engineer tracked it down to a corroded master socket) is that figure reports the speed the modem is connected to the network, which in theory is also the 'best speed' it can get but its not the modem itself that caps the connection, but  DLM will vary this for the first few days to balance stability and speed. But I'm not technical so I could be talking nonsense!

If you aren't happy you need to give the Combo Team a ring though so do that tonight. Let us know how you get on.