cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Standby mode when streaming

I know there have been a few threads on this subject but can anyone give a definitive answer, will the now tv box go into standby when it is receiving a live stream and the TV is switched off or changed to another source?

I have installed a black box for my elderly parents to watch sky sports and even though I have explained the controls I am expecting when they want to stop watching a live channel they may just turn the TV off, this would leave the sky sports or whatever still streaming indefinitely and although they have unlimited internet seems like such a waste of data.

Do I just need to train them to press the home button when they are finished? I would have expected the now tv box to be able to identify there is no output device connected and eventually go to standby?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Welcome to the forum. The black box doesn't have a standby mode as such but it does drop down into a low power 'screensaver' mode when it's not streaming after a few minutes. The NOW TV live streams will stop after a set period of time but I can't remember what that is off-hand (3 hours rings a bell but could be wrong). Both streaming and 'screensaver' modes use very little power so as long as your parents have unlimited broadband there's no real harm in leaving it streaming, but yes what I encourage people to do is always treat the HOME button as an OFF button and always press that when they've finished.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Excellent, thanks Andy. I'm not really too concerned about the power use as I know this is pretty small, just the needless streaming and data use but sounds like it will eventually go to standby which is what I would expect so that's fine.

Chris

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy

Hi Chris

Just a thought I'd like to share with you, I binge watch, i.e. about 3 - 5 episodes of a show all in one go, just like a lot of other forum members.  As you can imagine, a lot of us would be "royally put out" if our Now TV or Roku boxes decided to stop streaming in the middle of our binge session.

I understand where you are coming from and the concern you have for your parents, not only that other concerned offspring, with limited data plans, had their elderly parents caught out because the box was treated as another TV channel.

So as Andy advised, it is best to get your parents to press the home button on the remote control when they have finished their streaming session.

Final thought, I usually press the home button twice, just to make sure.

UK Bob