cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick keeps getting hot

My now tv stick keeps getting ridiculously hot and it’s impacting my viewing experience as it keeps losing connection or buffering . Can’t get through 1 programme without this happening numerous times . It’s so annoying . I have tried unplugging the stick overnight but it heats up straight away . Please can someone advise me how to resolve this . Iam actually thinking of cancelling all my packages with them as it’s annoying me so much 

11 REPLIES 11
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Another thing to check is if your television has a back facing HDMI port (not side or down facing configuration) and you haven't wall mounted the television or the television is tight against the wall, then use that style of HDMI port if your television has it.

The Stick will then not be right up tight against the television casing and you should have better air flow around the Stick and you may also see an improvement with the wifi signal received on the Stick.

JayceyF
Scholar

Are you getting an overheating message?  I got this for the first time yesterday, after literally years of no problems.

We keep our NOW stick and our Amazon stick plugged into an HDMI switch box, which is kept well away from the TV, on a ledge in an airy place (although it is slightly recessed).  I noticed yesterday that the Amazon stick was hot too, so I unplugged them both and let them cool down.  (I briefly saw a temperature symbol come up on Amazon, so I suspect that might be their version of an overheating message.)

Our switch box looks like this (lots on Amazon - cheap & cheerful): https://www.amazon.co.uk/avedio-links-Switcher-Splitter-Support-Black/dp/B07RZNG5Q4/

Today I did this:

- separated the two sticks on the switch box (it has three ports and they were next to each other - there's now a gap between them!)

- made a little stand out of an egg box, to stand the switch box on so it has air circulating around it.

So far so good - fingers crossed!  The NOW stick is still pretty warm but I'm getting no messages, so we shall see...  (Amazon stick is currently cool?)

PS.  My NOW stick has always been super-reliable - it's the Amazon stick that drives me nuts, it's sooo flaky!  Hopefully now I'll get good performance from both...🤞