cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Stick keeps getting hot

My now tv stick keeps getting ridiculously hot and it’s impacting my viewing experience as it keeps losing connection or buffering . Can’t get through 1 programme without this happening numerous times . It’s so annoying . I have tried unplugging the stick overnight but it heats up straight away . Please can someone advise me how to resolve this . Iam actually thinking of cancelling all my packages with them as it’s annoying me so much 

11 REPLIES 11
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Two options

1. Factory reset to the stick
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/hard-factory-reset-now-box-stick
  2. Ditch the stick and get a Roku or Amazon Fire stick
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Try a HDMI extender https://www.amazon.co.uk/fire-stick-extender/s?k=fire+stick+extender

It will improve the circulation of air around the stick and keep the temperature down.

And thing to do if you have Teflon palms like me is to hold the stick for 10-15 seconds and draw the heat out.  I had to do this the other day when temperatures hit 40°C.  Was all fine after that.

Amazon provide an extender with the Fire Stick so unless you need the 30 minute pause on live channels, you may be better off with one of them.   Don’t buy now as they are full price, but Amazon frequently have half price offers meaning they cost around £15-£22 depending on specification.

Richard12
Advocate

I have the same issue,my Roku stick gets very hot, but mine is laid on a table, plenty of air around. Seem to be able to watch YouTube OK, but freezes on Prime & Netflixs.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

Don’t lay it on a table, it will get hot and damage the table. Mine is suspended in mid air away from everything with just the USB cable and the HDMI extender attached.  A bit like this…

images-3.fill.size_2000x1333.v1611699183

redchiz1
Champion 2

Ah, just up against the back of a nice warm TV!  😛

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

As I wrote, a bit like that.  The more you can keep the stick in the open the better.  I use other cables to pull it away.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

There is some information in this NOW linked article below about if you encounter their products running hot. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/red-light-overheating-warning

Even though these HDMI fly leads extender cables are not that expensive, It's a shame NOW didn't supply a HDMI fly lead extender with their Stick like Amazon do with their Fire Sticks which will not only help with air circulation around the stick and from my experience may slightly improve the wifi reception on the Stick has well.

SweetBlitz
Expert 3

I guess Now didn’t provide extenders to keep the price as low as possible, especially as the sticks were more or less given away with passes.  The sticks were a loss leader.  Odd they still distribute them in Ireland but not UK.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @SweetBlitz 

Roku didn't either with their Sticks, though you could claim a free HDMI extender from Roku themselves.

No idea why you can still purchase the NOW Stick from the Republic of Ireland website store for use for ROI customers.

Maybe NOW had more surplus stock left than the UK.