cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Setting up a new smart box

I live in a 3 storey house, I want to put the box in the top floor, there is no router or TV Ariel up there. What is the minimum I can connect it to the tv with?

4 REPLIES 4
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. You don't have to connect to an aerial, although if you don't you won't have access to the Freeview terrestrial broadcasts. You will however need a wifi or wired Ethernet connection to set up and use the other apps on the box, NOW TV recommend a minimum of 2.5Mbps so you might want to use a speed test app on a phone or laptop in the room to see what sort of speed you're likely to get up there.

Without an aerial all the other apps including catch-up apps from BBC, ITV, 4, 5, UKTV etc will all work with an Internet connection.

The TV needs a HDMI port, and if you particularly want Freeview broadcasts you could investigate whether an indoor aerial might work in your situation.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awesome thanks. HDMI port is on the TV so that' fine, I currently watch Sky go on my tablet up their so Wi-Fi not an issue either. It' mainly the channels in the entetainment package I watch. I will be cancelling my sky tv as NOW has everything I watch for much cheaper.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User No worries, watching the NOW TV app shouldn't be a problem for you if wifi is fine, enjoy!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are not going to connect a TV aerial in the short or long term to a nowtv smart box with the inbuilt TV tuner, then save some money and look at the nowtv smart stick or if you are going to run an Ethernet cable or use Homeplugs over Ethernet then look at the nowtv standard black box.