cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box - main screen glitchy, sluggish

Hi  all

I had a trawl through the forum to see if I could find any reported instances of the same issues, but couldn't find any. Basically I'm getting a range of weird and annoying issues on the main menu that look bad and get in the way:

Now TV Smart Box issues:

• Random flickering whitish squares appear on screen, maybe 10px in size 
  • Random rows of rectangles appear in different parts of the screen but usally at the top or bottom. Rectangles can be grey, white or green. 11 per row
  • A grid pattern of white squares and L-shapes appears, spanning the entire screen. 20 per row
  • Navigating the menus makes the shapes appear more frequently
  • Menus randomly stop working, then 5 seconds later any queued commands are delivered in a single burst
  • No glitches occur when watching a freeview channel, live tv channel, iplayer or catchup

I've taken a few pictures and video but don't see any way to upload them. They're available if needed.

These issues happened from day one. I stopped using the box because I already had a built-in nowtv app and I figured, hey, streaming is ok so maybe a firmware update will sort out the menu. I got the box at the end of August and the last firmware update was on Oct 24th so I guess that's out.

When I attached it to another TV sometime later, I still saw the same issues and started trying to troubleshoot. I've tried with LG, Samsung, Hisense and Hannspree TVs and have used the in-box HDMI cable as well as my best constructed cable, a BlueRigger 35ft job, amongst others. No difference in any combination.

The frustrating part is that apps and streams seem to work fine, so why not the main menu?

Curiously,

whitebeam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

I've not come across that combination of issues on the forum before. The random artefacts could possibly be due to HDMI issues but you've already tried different cables and TVs and it wouldn't account for the delayed response to remote commands. I'd suggest you contact the retailer you bought the box from to arrange a replacement or repair under warranty - if you bought direct from NOW TV see the following help page

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Return-my-NOW-TV-Box

Before you do, if you haven't already I'd try a factory reset of the box. You'll find the option under Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset (and then enter the code shown on screen to confirm) 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

I've not come across that combination of issues on the forum before. The random artefacts could possibly be due to HDMI issues but you've already tried different cables and TVs and it wouldn't account for the delayed response to remote commands. I'd suggest you contact the retailer you bought the box from to arrange a replacement or repair under warranty - if you bought direct from NOW TV see the following help page

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Return-my-NOW-TV-Box

Before you do, if you haven't already I'd try a factory reset of the box. You'll find the option under Settings > System > Advanced System Settings > Factory Reset (and then enter the code shown on screen to confirm) 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Andy

Thanks! I hadn't thought of factory reset - an obvious step in retrospect. Unfortunately it didn't make any diffrence, as can be seen in the attached video (got attachment capabilities now!)

I figured I'd be heading down the repair/replace/refund route all right, just wanted to query if this is something that can be fixed by software or settings. It seems the answer is no.

Gratefully,

whitebeam

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Yeah, that's quite clear to see - having gone through the setup after factory reset the box will download any updates again so I take it there's no improvement after you've completed setup? Also, can't tell from the vid but are you connecting there to a TV or a dedicated monitor? From your initial post I'm guessing you've already tried on several normal TVs however? Whilst you are still in the comfort of your home you can try forcing a new software download - from the homescreen, quickly but smoothly press HOMEx5 FFx3 REWx2 (ignore the screen) and then a secret screen should appear (if not go back to the homescreen and try again). Choose the Software Update option and confirm you want to download even though it will be the same version number as the one you have. I'm not expecting this to make any difference, but after that I'd say you've done everything you can and it's time to contact the retailer. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

Yes, that's a LG 24MT46D TV/monitor in the video. I've also tried with a Hisense M3300 and a Samsung 4 series (not sure the exact model) and that is the consistent behavior across all of them. Tried the force update and, as expected, there was no change.

Back to the retailer (amazon) with me then.

Cordially,

whitebeam

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

You could try forcing a software update to your box to see if it makes any difference.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Error-011-NOW-TV-Box

Thanks

Andy