cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box PSU DC power dimensions?

Hi I was hoping someone may know the answer to this.

I am wanting to get a USB to DC power to power the NowTV smart box by usb. The problem is, unlike the white box and the Roku 2 version of the box. The NowTV smart box power connector is of a non standard format and I cannot figure out what is the right DC connector to get for it.

It is definitely not 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I have also tried 6.3mm x 3mm and a couple of others.

Does anyone know exactly what dimensions DC connector fits onto this?

5 REPLIES 5
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Just-so-you-know... The 'smart boxes' PSU pukes out 12 volts, more than twice as much as a regular USB (5 volt) power supply Smiley Surprised 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi I was hoping someone may know the answer to this.

I am wanting to get a USB to DC power to power the NowTV smart box by usb. The problem is, unlike the white box and the Roku 2 version of the box. The NowTV smart box power connector is of a non standard format and I cannot figure out what is the right DC connector to get for it.

It is definitely not 5.5mm x 2.1mm. I have also tried 6.3mm x 3mm and a couple of others.

Does anyone know exactly what dimensions DC connector fits onto this?

@Anonymous User

Hi welcome to the fourm, USB is not currently of use with the ROKU boxes, but as you can see below these are the possible ones that can be played off ,furhter info can be found under this article in the fourm here

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/USB-SD-DISABLED-NOT-A-HAPPY-BUNNY/td-p/319058/highlight/true/page/7

I

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I think you've answered a question @Anonymous User didn't ask. My reading is that he doesn't want to use the USB port on the smart box, he wants to power it from a USB port on another device, TV maybe?. 

@Anonymous User As @SeeMoreDigital points out, the smart box psu outputs 12V DC, whereas USB ports only supply 5V DC, so even if you found the right size power plug, it'll never work. Not what you were hoping for, I know what with enough power points never being available.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have these which work great with my regular Roku boxes which are 12v being powered by my TV's 5v USB port.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282394281690

I have seen mention on the internet that the Smart Box box power adapter maybe 4mm x 1.7mm in dimension so I have ordered these yesterday from ebay the seller being in China. Will find out if they are the right size in 30 working days when they are finally delivered and report back for whoever else may be interested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361953114197

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

The smaller Roku boxes and NOW TV boxes run at closer to 5 volts than 12 volts.

The NOW TV white and black branded boxes run fine at 5 volts. They can also run at lower ampages because the USB port and SD card slot has been disabled. I have personally powered both box types from my TV's USB ports so I know!

The 'smart' box however, does require 12 volts. It can not be powered with only 5 volts!

Cheers