cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

blank/ black screen when changing channels

Hi.  I'm getting blank/ black screens sometimes when trying to change channels, as if there is no signal or something and sometimes I get the colured spinning thing but dont connect,  any ideas what's up?

24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

As with Raevelyn's case I will raise this to our technical team to have a look into,

I may need to ask additional questions about your set up later on.

Thanks,

Rob

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My black box is still doing this. I've been trying to pin point what may be the exact cause and so far the only conclusion I can come up with is the length of time the box has been in use. By that I mean streaming channels for a few hours is fine but after that is when the problem appears to start and the nowtv app just appears to stop responding but it only seems to be triggered when you change channel while already in a channel. Once it stops I've to press the home button on remote, sometimes a few times to get out of the blank screen and back to the main menu. Then relaunch the app and all will be fine again fae a few hours once again.

The last few days I tried the box on a wired connection rather than wireless but that made no difference. My wireless is very good, also by sky with a stable line of 30 meg at all times, non fibre. I live in a fairly remote location in northern Scotland so our exchange does not have a high capacity thus the high speed. But also as stated my white box doesn't have any problem and that is around 15 meters away from the router where the signal needs to travel through several walls. The black box is about 3 meters Awa from the router and in the same room. So with all that in mind its not a connection issue, not to mention the black box only recently started to have this issue.

Additionally, the box was reset, unplugged, cables checked, even swapped the hdmi cable for a new one.

Over the last few days I have also experienced some other things too which maybe or maybe not related. Streaming entertainment channels - the quality on my black box has drastically decreased, picture is pixilated (but i think that may be down to sky not nowtv) sometimes and poor quality not eve to meet a SD standard. Fox is horrible quality and skyone is hit and miss. The remote control is playing up. I press things and it does not respond sometimes, other times I press things and it goes crazy.. Most noticeable when scrolling for example, I press to scroll down once and it does it 3-4 times and just takes off. Again these issues are only present on the black box and only in the NowTV app. No problems with bbc,stv,all four,five,vevo,youtube, sky store which I use daily. These additional issues also only seem to be present once the box has been running a while too.

My box is located on top of the cabinet so no chance of over heating and I've tried various locations to ensure its not an interference issue (which to be fair the ethernet connection should of resolved if that was the case).

It really is an odd issue and impossible to reproduce ondemand.. As said previously it is completely random.

As for the ondemand programmes I havnt had an issue with that yet but to be fair I rarely use it. I mostly use the live streaming or ondemand on other non nowtv apps.

I've seem a few reports around the forum with these issues, but all seem to slightly differ in how they effect the posters. my only guess is that how you and what you use the box for (well the nowtv app) has an effect on how it differs but the cause, whether it be the box or the nowtv app remains the same.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Forgot to add that I swapped the boxes round so the black one is in the far room connected to a completely different tv and vice versa and the issue still was present on the black one. Also tried the second remote on the black box when it started playing up and it still played up with that so that elimates the remote being faulty. I still think its a bug with nowtv app and not the box as every other app works without issue.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for the detailed post. 

I have reported it to our technical teams who will look into this. I may need to ask additional questions about your set up later on.

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

No problem at all. Would be nice to get to the bottom of the issue so any further info you need I'm more than happy to provide it 😊