cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

White boxes unresponsive...is it my boxes??

Morning peeps anyone else experiencing this problem.. my boxes are doing nothing... won't reset,load setting just sitting there annoying me... I've tried everything Now tv recommend to do e.g. Switching off box router... obviously still nothing and apparently live chat is unavailable..
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Most people are having this issue.

I've just been on Live Chat and they are aware of the issue, so hopefully it will get sorted soon.

I've also asked for them to make a post on the forums to make everyone else aware..

Darren

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. The above posts related to a different issue with the one you are having, it was a problem at NOW TV's end that was resolved on that day.

A good first troubleshooting step if the NOW TV Box is acting glitchy is to do a hard reset. If you haven't tried already, with the box powered up insert a pin or bent paper clip into the reset hole at the rear and hold in until you see the box reset. You will need to re-enter your wifi and NOW TV account details afterwards.

If you still find the boxes are very unresponsive you can always post back.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks Andy. A strange thing happened. I've been trying for a few days to get the boxes working and had left them unplugged from power for a few days. After posting here I contacted the chat line. They suggested a hard reset also. I powered up before doing it, and to my surprise found the box to be working again. Could it be because it was left not powered for a few days? I will check the other box now and do a reset if it isn't right. Thanks for the reply.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User sometimes it's just the old turn it off and on again for no reason gets things working. Hopefully your other box does the same and you're good to go again.

image.gif

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Andy

Hi Mike

You may not know this but on 18/19 November Now TV released an unapproved/untested update to all Now TV boxes, which effectively bricked everything it touched.

As you can imagine, there was a lot of painful howling and gnashing/grinding of teeth from box owners all over the UK when it was found out our boxes no longer worked.

Now TV, after hearing their customers agonising cries of pain and suffering, buckled down and within a few hours (on 19th) issued an emergency update and made everything work again.

Pain & Suffering.jpg

However, if your a person that switches off his Now TV boxes when not in use then it is possible that your boxes have not received the emergency update released on 19th November.  So, as @Andy advised, a hard reset of your boxes is needed to force the installation of that emergency update.

Anyway, hope that by the time you read this your boxes are working as expected.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks UK Bob. Isn't it amazing in the corporate world of not wanting to admit blame, why Now TV couldn't tell their chat line staff to simply explain what had happened. Their reaction was very much ¨that's strange¨etc etc. Also, you would have imagined they would have just sent an email to all customers. Anyway, I think both boxes must have updated the firmware as they are now back to normal. To be honest, the clue was in both boxes going awol at once. Can anyone advise if the new black box is much better than the white one. I'm talking about the cheap one. My main criticism of the white one is that the navigation is quite sluggish and clunky. Apart from that it's absolutely fine. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hey Mike

You know, no company, large organisation or local council will admit that they have done anything wrong, they will prefer to deny, lie or obfuscate rather than come out and tell the truth, it's a sign of the times.

Anyway, as for the white box, which I owned for almost 2 years until it died, is very old tech now, is definitely showing it's age and most probably on it's last legs.  Therefore, my advice as a current black box owner is to get one asap, especially now as Black Friday Sales are still on.

The Now TV black box is smoother, faster, more responsive and can handle modern software/firmware updates better than the old white box, thanks to it's dual core CPU, while still being just as easy to set up and keeping the same functionality.

My only regret with my black box is that I did not start using it sooner but then I'm the kind of guy that is very cautious when it comes to updating my IT kit.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks UK Bob. I have now ordered the latest box which, as you say, is a very good offer. On the subject of big corporations being straight and upfront, the problem to me is the time wasted by the customer through not having the information that clearly is known by the big companies. I am going through a very frustrating time with Netflix, Samsung and my ISP. I have a 300 Mbps Fibre connection but only 4 Mbps arriving at the Netflix app on the Samsung TV. I have never seen so much buck passing in my life. No 4K and no light at the end of the tunnel. When the white boxes went awol, it was the last straw 🙂