cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PickleRick
Mentor

Tiny subtitles

My current phone, ((Alcatel 1(2021)) and my previous phone (Imo Q4) both have a massive problem with subtitles. They are tiny. Basically the subtitles are like the bottom row of an opticians chart, the one you're not expected to be able to read comfortably. I haven't tried it with an Apple or premium Andriod phone, so it might not be an across the board problem but I expect it is. Why are the subtitles so small, have been so for a long time, and no option to resize the subtitles?

9 REPLIES 9
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PickleRick 

Email support to find out. You only talk to fellow customers so it would be speculation. See email address in the below picture.

gavs82008_0-1687012203473.jpeg

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @PickleRick 

That's an Android phone isn't it? If so there may be a remedy but I can't promise it will work for all content. Some older back catalogue content such as fringe for example doesn't appear to a follow captain preference settings.

If you go into settings (not the now app) on your Android phone and look for captions using the search function you should then be able to enable caption preferences then the Now app should then in most cases follow these preference settings. One of the main options that should be front and center within caption preferences is 'font size'. There are a whole host of options though many of them will be hidden inside a further sub menu.

Hope this helps 😁

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 @PickleRick 

Good tip!

Settings/Accessibility/Subtitles & Captioning provides this on my iPad, so probably would on an iPhone also, and this works - dynamically - with the Now app on this platform.

On my sub-premium Samsung Galaxy A53, though, subtitles seem to be controlled by the Now app, and remain impossibly tiny, colour on black, though this is not what I chose in Settings.

What does work though, albeit it’s a bit scatter-gun, is Live Caption. Here, the phone itself listens to the dialogue and shows it, and this is shown according to the caption settings.

English only though, so when they speak Italian in S2E4 of White Lotus, what Live Caption comes up with is either a bit strange, or it gives up altogether.

However, here we get the third approach to subtitles, which is that English translations of the Italian are embedded in the programme, and are white with black edging, and are a decent size.

But Now need to take all this in hand, and if they won’t use the phone’s central settings, either make the subtitles a great deal bigger, or give us control over them, other than just on/off, in the Now app.

Here’s the tiny Now captioning (blue) with Live Caption (white) also active, and running a few words behind, so forget wanting lip-sync:-

IMG_1061.jpeg

And here’s the embedded subtitles when Italian is being spoken (which Live Caption isn’t attempting to understand), and which are a sensible size that Now could usefully emulate:-

IMG_1063.jpeg

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

If you try one of the new movies such as bullet train or simulant the app will follow your system settings for captions.

This subtitle functionality is actually quite new for the Now Android app and there's quite a good chance it doesn't work for content it was uploaded to the system a couple of years ago and I can only assume it's because the assets that are held on their servers four said content contain parameters which prevent the video player from altering the subtitles according to system settings.

Think it's fair to say that all of us are in agreement that subtitle functionality is something that needs significant improvement on Now 

One thing they really need to stop doing that his hard coding the subtitles to the video layer for content for contains overseas language. I need to be making proper subtitle tracks and putting the subtitles on the subtitle layer.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 

White Lotus Season 2 aired November 2022, so that’s pretty recent.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Saint1976
Elite 3

@commanda6 @RoyB the same subject came up a number of weeks ago and I tested all my available devices. Despite going into my system settings (OnePlus 7t) and changing subtitles size, the text stayed very small on 'The Last of Us' which like White Lotus, is a very recent upload.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Subtitles-when-provided-are-far-too-small-to-read-P...

As you'll see from the whole comment thread, there was different results across a range of devices.

Agree with both, subtitles still need some serious work.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hello one and all

please see the following topic for a possible workaround

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mobile/Subtitle-size-on-Google-Pixel-6/m-p/603916/highlight/true#M541...

RoyB
Legend

@commanda6 

and details for the Samsung A53, and possibly details on an extended workaround to get any Size/Style settings you want, despite the bug.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB wrote:

@commanda6 

and details for the Samsung A53, and possibly details on an extended workaround to get any Size/Style settings you want, despite the bug.

@RoyB is referring to the response to what I posted the topic below

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Mobile/Subtitle-size-on-Google-Pixel-6/m-p/603916/highlight/true#M541... 

you will find @RoyB 's post directly below mine after clicking the link