Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caseyb1993 Elite 5
Elite 5

Re: Does this box have a Netflix app?

@artesea wrote:

@salemsliving short anwser is no. 

@salemsliving But you can get Netflix on pretty much all smart phones/tablets/ consoles/amazon fire TV and stick / roku/ Chromecast (I think for this one). Smiley Happy

I use it on the Wii U. Smiley Happy

I would like Hayu to build an app for NOWTV. It would save me hunching around my laptop. Smiley Very Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Re: Does this box have a Netflix app?

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@artesea wrote:

@salemsliving short anwser is no. 

@salemsliving But you can get Netflix on pretty much all smart phones/tablets/ consoles/amazon fire/ Chromecast (I think for this one). Smiley Happy

I use it on the Wii U. Smiley Happy

@caseyb1993  is right it is on Chromecast.  It is also on LG smart TVs where you can get Now, Netflix, Amazon and other services.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Re: Netflix on the NOW TV Box

@CRIDGY no it is not possible.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Contact Now...

caseyb1993 Elite 5
Elite 5

Re: Netflix on the NOW TV Box

@CRIDGY If you want Netflix, Roku is perfect for you.

I bought one and really love it.

https://www.roku.com/en-gb/how-it-works
I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
BicBasher
Scholar 5

Free Netflix with the Radio Times

The Radio Times are offering a free month of Netflix to new and existing customers this week.

Buy this week's copy of the Radio Times for £2.30, then go to the redeem page on Netflix and type in the code.  This wil give you £7.49 to cover for the 2 screen HD subscription for this month.

You have until Monday 7th November to buy your copy.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | NOW TV Smart Box wired connected, Chromecast 2 connected via wi-fi, LG Smart TV model LG 32LB580V and a PC, Windows 7 using Firefox 45 (x64) with Silverlight connected via Ethernet.
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

Re: Free Netflix with the Radio Times

@BicBasher is the code only available for this month? Personally I have Netflix thanks to the Vodafone deal that was about earlier in the year.

Contact Now...

0 Thanks
BicBasher
Scholar 5

Re: Free Netflix with the Radio Times

@4268 wrote:
@BicBasher is the code only available for this month? Personally I have Netflix thanks to the Vodafone deal that was about earlier in the year.

@4268The code is valid until December 31st.

You could still use the code which will credit your account with £7.49 if your deal with Vodafone ends.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | NOW TV Smart Box wired connected, Chromecast 2 connected via wi-fi, LG Smart TV model LG 32LB580V and a PC, Windows 7 using Firefox 45 (x64) with Silverlight connected via Ethernet.
0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 2

Re: Add an app to my box

@dick_scratcher @Andy

Hi DS

You know, there are a lot of people who buy the Now TV black box thinking they are buying a cheap Roku 2/3 but they are not.  As @Andy mentioned, the range of facilities and apps available for the Now TV box are vastly diminished compared to what's on offer for the Roku. And, although Roku does make the Now TV box, there is no way they are going to commercially cut their own throats buy offering the same facilities they sell for £80 to another company to sell for £15 - £20.

That said, there is a way to extend the facilities of the black ( and white) box by side loading the Plex app/channel (a multi-media serving software) on your box.

Here's the best and easiest way to do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHCafwpQmdE

But please note, you will also need a computer or NAS set up with Plex Media Software to send your media, i.e. videos, music, photos, etc., to your black box to display and play on your TV.

I use Plex myself, and the greatest pleasure I get is when I'm listening to music I used to play before I retired.  You see, I don't have to worry about finding any physical media (albums or CDs) all my music is stored digitally on my NAS, so after a few presses of my Now TV remote I'm playing beautiful music via my NAS, Now TV box and TV sound system.

I also play the odd ripped DVD as well but I mainly use my Now TV box for music, TV catch up and, of course, Now TV itself.

Hope I've shown you how you can expand the use of your Now TV box, i.e. just because it's limited in facilities doesn't mean it's limited in scope.

UK Bob

dick_scratcher
Occasional Poster

Re: Add an app to my box

Ukbobboy,

WOW !!

thanks for your info, I will have a go at it.

cheers

0 Thanks
BradPJ
Contributor 1

Competing Video Services on the NOW TV Box

Hi, 

I understand that competing video services are not currently available on the Now TV Smart Box. Now I can understand the reasoning here in that they are competitors in the market place and prior to the Now TV Smart Box, a Roku would be a fine replacement for the Now TV boxes. However, now there is no other box that can bring all my live TV services (Freeview + Now TV) into one guide.  As the box is capable, one annoyance of mine (among others that I have outlined in other threads), is that I cannot play all my content, live and on demand (I currently subscribe to Now TV, Netflix and Amazon Prime) in one place, rather than switching to the quickly dating apps built into my smart TV. 

Now, I was thinking of a solution and saw earlier that the Sky Sports News HQ app can only be accessed with a valid pass. Couldn't the same also be applied to the Netflix and Amazon Video apps? This would mean that the services are only available if you continue to subscribe to Now TV and then this would reduce some of the 'competition factors', although I appreciate they will now be competing for screen time. I could also understand if Amazon Video was not included since it contains both Prime and Purchased TV and Movies, the latter of which could compete with the Sky Store. Of course, this may not be possible due to any licensing or other restrictions from Roku / Netflix (etc) or there could be other reasons that the services are not included.

This box is so close to being the only device that I need to connect to my TV as it is really great, but a few missing features like this are stopping that. I know that there is a low chance of this getting seen by the correct people but I have seen some suggestions on this site be implemented in the past and so I am posting in hope. Thank you for reading!