cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Cinema = Sky movies is having a shake up..

Sky movies to do a shake up of the service...

Introducing Sky Cinema, the New Home of Sky Movies

From 8 July, we're revolutionising the way you watch movies by launching Sky Cinema – the new home of Sky Movies.

Don't worry, you'll still get all the features of Sky Movies you know and love.
We're just changing our name and adding exciting new improvements to make it even better. All at no extra cost to your current subscription.

So sit back, fire up the popcorn and prepare to experience movies like never before.

Welcome to Sky Cinema

Sky Cinema: what's new?

Spectre

More blockbusters closer to cinema release^

Catch the latest movies before other subscription services.

Find out more >

Minions

A new premiere every day

Wake up to a new movie every day.
From Spectre to Minions, there's something for everyone.

Find out more >

Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation

Our biggest line-up of movies on demand*

With over 1,000 movies at your fingertips, watch more than ever before – whenever you want.

Find out more >

Antman

Improved HD and sound for movies on demand**

Enjoy a crisper picture and movies with sound closer to cinema.

Find out more >

All titles shown are available on Sky Cinema this July.

Find out more about Sky Cinema >

SkyUK Dish Box service is having a shake up this will effect NowTV... 

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Subtopic...

Sky vs DVD/BD/digital rental... in past history

Love flim and blockbuster Rental agreements did stop Sky movies licensing films...

Digital rental still does...

Even cinema still delays the release... for no reason...

If cinema did not have their Exclusive window  of 13 weeks in the UK, The Rental exclusive window would start earlier... and then Sky whould get the films earlier...

Itunes And Amazon exclusive rental Windows delays when it can release to Sky movies...

The difference now is that the Digital rental companies are price fixed to the same ammount most times...

Blockbuster and love film would actualy try to out do each over by 10p or £1 most times....

1 year blockbuster whould be the best offer at xmass, next year love film would be cheapest by 50p at Xmass.. so there was deals to be had and you did not have to go looking for them... in november both would send out a leaflet with the offers and one whould just be better...

I miss blockbusters because the staff were normaly the cheapest per hour loner teenager... (who would be eating the popcorn due to staff discount of 50% on food) and just want some one to talk too who don't run full speed out the store as soon as finished serving them. lol ( would normaly classed fat as well back then, but not now skinny compaired to fatties working in some shops today) And if you did actualy talk to them they would talk about not released offers yet due next week... or games that were allready in stock 3 weeks before release date... Never get that at HMV or MVC... it served and get out and go away. lol. to interested in their tape music on the walkman...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Back to topic...

Sky Cinema Will no longer use Upscaled films....

Films now need a 1080I master from the studios or it will nolonger be broadcast... 

Full 1080I content only no upscale allowed... This means the master file will be bigger in GB on Sky UK end...

This means a 10-50% increase in the HD films quality...

Due to NowTV not running films in 1080I NowTV will not even see this Quality increase...

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Back to topic...

Sky Cinema Will no longer use Upscaled films....

Films now need a 1080I master from the studios or it will nolonger be broadcast... 

Full 1080I content only no upscale allowed... This means the master file will be bigger in GB on Sky UK end...

This means a 10-50% increase in the HD films quality...

Due to NowTV not running films in 1080I NowTV will not even see this Quality increase...

As far as I'm aware, all the 1920x1080 movie sources are mainly progressive now. All of which can be interlaced 'on-the-fly' (if necessary) or have an MBAFF or PAFF flag applied prior to being broadcast via DVB...

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky Cinema uses 1920x1080I native files now, no more messing with any thing at skyUKs end...

No lower resolution 1440x1080i versions. no 720p to 1080i upscaling required. no work required at all by skyUk...

Bit rate and resolution allready matched to SkyUK broadcast standard direct from studio... and its allready running on the Dish services yep they replaced some of the content before the channel names will change...

1080p would require Double the storage to keep the quality needed they were not going to do that as it would have meant an expensive over haul of film content storage instead of ~25% extra costly upgrade this was...

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

Sky Cinema uses 1920x1080I native files now, no more messing with any thing at skyUKs end... 

Out of interest, who's told you this?

I send all my stuff out as either progressive MPEG-4 AVC or as a DCP file... Storage is a 'non issue' these days.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Which is a real shame. The other services out there all encode for different profiles on different platforms. Now Tv picture quality should'nt be hamstrung because of a single (albeit important) device's limitations, when the vast majority of other platforms the service is on are fully capable of higher resolution and bandwidth. Of course, this is presuming that is actually the reason to start with anyway. Perhaps it's an effort to deliberately try and push people onto the Sky platform if they want that increased quality.