cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

No 5.1 audio, new smart box only outputs PCM

Hi all

just bought the new smart box, despite 5.1 sound being mentioned in the blurb the box only seems to output PCM (my amp indicates Linear PCM 2/0  48khz) despite the box being set to Dolby D+, DTS.

I thought it was maybe my amp so I switched on my Amazon Fire tv, I got DD 5.1 likewise with my old Apple TV.

So does the new box only output PCM or do I need to check things out further.

thanks 

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't think NOWtv tramits anything better than stereo sound.

It's a bit silly really, it's not the 90's and we should have 5.1 for at least the movie channels.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think NOWtv tramits anything better than stereo sound.

Yep, you're correct. The NOW TV service currently offers 2 channel stereo...

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hi Guys

I was in one of those big electrical stores today and saw a massive 60 (at least) inch wide screen TV showing Ultra High Definition  pictures, I was mesmerised looking at those vibrant "better than life" moving colour pictures.

I wanted that TV and I was going to get one, then it hit me, the best UK broadcast on offer only does HD but most of it is just plain SD, there is no UK broadcast capable of doing UHD, so the TV would have been a waste.

In other words, I had nothing to feed this hungry beast with.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital @Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Hi Guys

I was in one of those big electrical stores today and saw a massive 60 (at least) inch wide screen TV showing Ultra High Definition  pictures, I was mesmerised looking at those vibrant "better than life" moving colour pictures.

I wanted that TV and I was going to get one, then it hit me, the best UK broadcast on offer only does HD but most of it is just plain SD, there is no UK broadcast capable of doing UHD, so the TV would have been a waste.

In other words, I had nothing to feed this hungry beast with.

UK Bob

What are you talking about? If it is a smart tv you can run Netflix 4k on it.  Netflix has a small but growing catalouge of 4k content as does Sky now.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You can use the Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx processing option on your amp (if available) to generate surround sound for NOW TV content, although obviously this is generated by the amp and so isn't as accurate as DD (placement a little woolly and dialogue not as clear) but it's the best we can do for now.

I agree with you it's disappointing there's no DD transmitted by NOW TV. I know it differs from person to person but for me the audio is more important in immersing yourself in a movie than the PQ is - I can happily watch movies broadcast on SD channels or DVD if they are good and it doesn't bother me, but poor audio quality really spoils my enjoyment.