cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

payment

Can you pay by direct debit as doesn't seem to be that option?

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous User
Not applicable

If you are referring to the broadband, that is definitely the preferred option. (It may in fact be the ONLY option)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

NOW don't offer customers a Direct Debit payment plan for either their Broadband or TV service and use the Continuous Payment Authorities (CPA) method by handing over your debit or credit card details to them.

Here's some information about CPA in a link below taken from a quick Google search.

https://www.raisin.co.uk/banking/continuous-payment-authority/ 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've always considered using a debit card as a direct debit as it has the sort code and account number of the current account on it. Perhaps I was wrong to think of it like that. Sorry if I gave bad advice earlier.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You could use a credit card instead of a debit card to pay for Now, and this clearly would not be a direct debit.

There is rather less immediate consumer protection on a CPA than there is on a direct debit - on a direct debit, the recipient must refund any payment you have made, on request, no ifs or buts - but on a CPA this is not the case.

There is no sinister reason why Now don’t do direct debits though; it’s just that CPAs are administratively a great deal simpler for both parties, and the ultimate consumer protection is essentially the same strength as for direct debits, though the procedures may be different. 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @RoyB , I was aware of the differences between Credit and Debit cards, I was just mistaken in thinking using a debit card was the same as a direct debit.

The fact you can set up a direct debit with just the information on a debit card is, I think, what got me confused.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Not on mine (NatWest) you can’t, as it doesn’t show my account number, only the sort code. Though you can on my wife’s (Nationwide).

However, according to this:-

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/Pages/Makingpayments.aspx

you anyway have to supply address details as well.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Interesting, I'm also Nationwide so I assumed all debit cards had the same information. Just goes to show we make assumptions on the information we have, but it may not always be correct.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Just to follow up from @Anonymous User  have a nosy at this link, although it doesn’t specifically say direct debit.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-payment-methods-can-i-use

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help