cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
madmurd75
Advocate

Switching from Now to either Vodafone or Plusnet

Had an email from Now saying as of 14th December by broadband price jumps from £23.50 to £46.50 which is crazy high for what it is.

Spoken with Now and seen as we dont use the house phone we can keep the same internet 63mbps but have pay as you go phone, new 12 month contract for a monthly price of £25 .

I explained to the lady that on the website is says this is £24 (used to be £23 up to a week ago) so why am I as an existing customer who's willing to stay with Now for another 12 months being charged extra as that just dont make sense. 

So I'm now looking of leaving Now Broadband as £25 a month for 63mbps is expensive compared to the likes of Plusnet which offers 145mbps for  £26.99 plus cash back and Vodafone who offer 100mbps for less or 500mbps for £27 a month as i'm an existing customer.

The Now customer service agent now says i have to give 14 days notice even though I'm out of contract.

Has any moved services to the likes of Vodafone or Plusnet full fibre services, do I need to let Now know etc.

What's best way to sort this 

10 REPLIES 10
RoyB
Legend

@madmurd75 

Choose who you would like to migrate to, and then, depending on the service you want from them, either they will inform Now, or they will need to ask that you inform Now.

Obviously the former is preferable, but you can sort this out with the gaining provider, as your new supplier will be known as at this point.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

As you will be moving to Full Fibre, you can't rely on the new provider cancelling Now so you will need to do it yourself.

Although personally I wouldn't cancel Now until the new service is running, as there can be "teething" problems, and you probably don't want to risk losing broadband for a while.

chilli2
Elite

@madmurd75  My current "deal" with Now expires in March, which will be about 2 years since i signed up.

Just before the first 12 month period was up i received an email with a set of new "deals" most of which were much more expensive , and hidden at the bottom a do nothing and pay the same as the introductory price for another 12 months on a rolling monthly basis

@madmurd75have you had a similar offer, hidden in small print, or are you at the end of the extended discount period? I'm interested as at some point i will also be at the end of my "second" discount period .

As for Full Fibre, or FTTP this is effectively another service as it runs on different lines to your Now service, this means in theory it should be possible to have the service from Now running as well as a new "full fibre"/FTTP service as they will just install an additional line, you may need to ask for the current service to be left intact ( for now)

An openreach "engineer" will then install the new line, drill a hole in your wall ( for the line to enter) and connect it to a little white box called an ONT - this will need to be near a plug socket as the ONT requires mains power, your router then connects to the ONT.

If your phone number is important to you and you need to keep it then once up and running on FTTP you can port the number from Now to a VOIP service like Andrews and Arnold or voiphone porting your number to Voip will automatically cease ( cancel)  the Now service, and you get to keep and use your phone number if needed - however you will need an app on your mobile, or an Analogue Telephone adaptor , or to sign up with a [provider that has a Voip service - often refered to as digital voice.

One thing to note is that you will not be able to receive or make any calls if their is a powercut in the wider area as most mobile phone masts will also go down after about 15 minutes , and with your ONT , router and ATA offline with no power, and the mobile phone masts also offline with no power communication could be tricky

madmurd75
Advocate

Been with Now 2 yrs, first year £20 second year &20 then went up to £23.50 half through this year. 
In end I ended up staying with Now as I couldn’t be bothered with all faffing about with ONT box in a place I didn’t want it, same package but pay as ya go phone as we never use it for £24 fir 12 months.

gizz
Scholar

Don't be fooled by the DO Nothing offer to keep rolling on a monthly basis.  I received the same email last year - did nothing and everything stayed hunky dory on my offer at the time of £22.99 including anytime calls.  This year once again I received the same e-mail saying my price had gone up to £26.49 and to stay on this deal I didnt need to do anything and it would continue rolling month to month.  However when my existing month to month rolling ended - it went up to £43.50 so I called them and they said in order to accept that offer i needed to accept by 11 August.  I said - how can i be expected to have called to accept it if the email clearly stated in more than one place - DO NOTHING.  I have been going back and forth with them trying to raise a complaint about the misleading e-mail and they seem very reluctant to keep my complaint open and allow it to progress to the final stage so i can then move onto CISAS or Ofcom.  They do not seem able to even follow their own complaints code of practise. Having done some research as well this has happened to a lot of NOW broadband customers as well.  The email was clearly misleading.  So if I were you I would call and check.

chilli2
Elite

Eventually everyone who wants fixed line internet services will have to have an ONT , either from openreach, or if you are lucky an alt-net, and Sky will either have to provide one in tis Now broadband sub brand, or stop providing internet services under the Now brand

redchiz1
Champion 2

@chilli2 

Prepare to be shocked when your next renewal email lands. Like others, we have been ticking along nicely for a couple of years, interrupted only by the across-the-board increase in July. This time, free Anytime calls are a thing of the past and the best we could get for Super Fibre (63 Mbps) was £25 a month. 

Jayach
Elite 3

I wonder why @madmurd75 is getting it for £24, when you are being asked for £25?

@madmurd75 wrote:
I ended up staying with Now as I couldn’t be bothered with all faffing about with ONT box in a place I didn’t want it, same package but pay as ya go phone as we never use it for £24 fir 12 months.

I can't believe the cost to Now of providing the service is any different.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Maybe a matter of days earlier? Offer and discount prices change all the time.  😕