cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BiteSize
Mentor

End of contract Email...a bit strange.

Hi there

We were coming to the end of our first yearly contract (Super Fibre with Anytime calls)

Now sent us an email stating our options.

These were take out a new 12 month contract which actually would increase our charges by £6/month. 

Carry on with what we have (which at £24 was quite nice) but be on a rolling basis. We phoned to confirm this second option would be our choice.

The guy on the phone said we were welcome to do this rolling option but we would need to pay £60 upfront as a one-off charge.

Nowhere on the email does it say anything about any charge or cancellation for this option.

We were offered a 12 month contract for £20/month (£4) cheaper but still would of liked the option of the short cancellation if needed.

Has anyone else been told about the £60 fee upfront?

I found it strange as it's not mentioned anywhere.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
BiteSize
Mentor

Finally we phoned them demanding we get put through to the complaints department, after a couple of weeks of useless email conversations they decided to let us have the rolling contract for a 12 month period. 

Why they couldn't do that in the first place, god only knows.

At least no £60 if we decide to cancel.

Thanks to everyone who helped us!

BiteSize

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @BiteSize 

I have gone down the email option route of "Keep What you Have" and cancel Any time for the last two years and never been charged the £60 upfront fee you mentioned.

BiteSize
Mentor

Very odd isn't it?

Only thing I thought of it's a little lower than it was but still strange.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @BiteSize 

There is a possibility that the NOW Broadband Advisor you spoke too got it wrong and is getting confused with new customers who join NOW Broadband for the first time who don't want to commit to the 12 month Saver option where there is a £60 upfront admin fee involved.

Should you want further reassurances for the "Keep What you Have" option and do nothing where you can cancel anytime, then maybe drop NOW an email using the email address on the screen shot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @BiteSize 

Here's another similar thread from last year, asking the same question.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Account-Billing/Contract-Renewal-Email/m-p/564801 

BiteSize
Mentor

Thanks for your help and I'll give them an email first thing tomorrow.

They must have us mixed up with new customers or something?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BiteSize wrote:

They must have us mixed up with new customers or something?

That does seem likely. I suspect the £60 is the price of the router and what they pay Openreach to make the connection, which obviously doesn't apply to a renewal.

Do let us know if the calls are also included in the renewal.

BiteSize
Mentor

I've sent email early this morning...any idea of the response times?

Hoping it's not 48hrs or more.

Thanks for the advice.

BiteSize
Mentor

Hi Everyone, thanks for all your replies and help.

We seem to be stuck in a back and forth email exchange with Now.

We are claiming that we have been coerced, more or less into taking another contract out when we asked to carry on at our original rate (£24) on a rolling basis. The guy who we spoke to was new and did tell us he could offer us the same deal for £20 12 month contract and we told him we want to roll on our contract without taking out a new one as I explained before.

He said I can do that for £20 which we thought was great and he said we will need £60 up front.

We've since found out this would only apply when we asked to cancel, no good to us, as we were offered an option by email for £24 with no cancellation fee.

We seem to be a bit stuck now as they don't seem to want to change us to the £24 rolling agreement which we asked for in the first place.

Apparently he was new (does show) and they are quoting us the transcript of the phone conversations but we dispute that it is all there and we have been misled into taking the 12 month contract.

Our old one wasn't due to expire until 25/3 so not sure if we can take it further - offcom or something maybe?

Bitesize.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @BiteSize 

The way i have read the email i have received from NOW myself.

If i go with the "Do Nothing" option my price remains the same has the previous year (with inclusive Anytime Calls) and it's rolling monthly and can cancel anytime.

Can't see anything on the email or the small print about £60 or a cancellation charge if i decide to leave NOW Broadband with the " Do Nothing " option.

Maybe a NOW Forum member who was on the "Do Nothing" option from last year and subsequently cancelled their NOW Broadband can confirm accordingly.

I have been rolling the "Do Nothing" option for about two years but obviously haven't cancelled their Broadband to see what happens.