cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jonathanc
Mentor

You are declaring a chomecast as a device.

You are going to charge me for casting to one or other of my tv's with a chromecast?

I only have it installed on my phone (and recently switched phones), but you are listing my chromecasts as devices? I also cannot remove any devices. So basically you want to charge me extra for only have 1 installation but casting at home on any of my chromecasts?

If this is true, then I must cancel this service because its a nonsensical policy. And if you are deliberately not allowing me to select a device or remove device, you are forcing me to pay more for the same product and usage.

I received this message

"You’re currently enjoying Boost at a discounted price – watching on 3 devices at once, ad-free and in Full HD.

We’re writing to let you know that from your next bill after 6 August, your Boost price will be going up to £5 a month.

You don’t need to do anything to carry on enjoying your Boost benefits, but if you no longer want them, you can cancel Boost any time in My Account."

6 REPLIES 6
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Jonathanc 

I am assuming you have casted first to your Chromecast Dongle before hitting play on the NOW content you want to watch on your smartphone which should count has one device.

If you do it the other way around it counts has two devices.

I haven't done Chrome casting when watching NOW in a few years, but the above used to work in the past for me.

Jonathanc
Mentor

casting is not capable of initiating a stream. You cannot run an app on the Chromecast, so it should not count as a device. Its like charging me more because I dragged the window to a second monitor on my pc.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Jonathanc 

just to add to what @schnapps as said above. From what you have said now are going to charge you for boost. It sounds as if you need to cancel boost if you haven't already done so. To do this go to the link below. While logged in to your Now account and click cancel next to boost on the page, you'll need to follow the dialogues all the way through to the end to ensure cancellation

https://www.nowtv.com/gb/account/membership

Hope this helps you out 😀

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Cast first; play second. Problem solved. 

RoyB
Legend

@Jonathanc 

Now don’t charge you based on how many devices you have; it’s based on how many you use at once.

If you start the cancellation process for Boost, you will more than likely get a further retention offer, somewhere between what you are paying now, and the full £5.

A bit disingenuous of Now not to mention that in their email, but there you go…

As regards casting, the one device/two device quirk is quite well known, and you have now been told about it; it’s your choice if you want to adopt it, or just keep moaning that it’s necessary.

And obviously, if you give up Boost, it’s essential to know about the quirk, and act accordingly.

Funny how everybody beefs about Now as if it’s content-neutral though; if you want Now’s content, pay up and look happy; if you don’t, then don’t buy it, however cheap it is.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

My suggestion would be to buy a Roku or fire stick (I own a Chromecast.  roku and fire stick. preference is roku ) and either ditch the Chromecast or keep it as a secondary device