cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has my price gone from £23.50 to £46.50 overnight with no warning

I can't believe the price hike without a single email to tell me. Treat your customers like this and wonder why we leave never to come back, which is what I will do and make sure everyone I know, knows this too.

I'm a pensioner in my 80's nearly blind and don't use the internet other than to ask google speaker. My nephew has typed this for me as I can't see.

Disgraceful 

36 REPLIES 36
RoyB
Legend

@PriceHike23To46 

You should have had an email - check your spam folder.

But this sounds like the first-year discount coming to an end, and you paying the full price for broadband plus Anytime calls.

Get onto Now broadband via 150 on your phone, and ask for Retentions - see what price they will offer you to stay. Sky/Now have undertaken not to offer new customers rates unavailable to existing customers, so you should be able to get back to your £23.50, for Broadband only, at least.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PriceHike23To46 

To echo what @RoyB says about the contract ending. See this link.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/end-of-broadband-contract

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

When you sign up with Now its usually for a 12 month period on most deals.

When this is nearly up you should get an email , in my case this came from a Sky email address and was titled Information about your Now membership, Sky are the parent company of Now.

You may have a do nothing and keep what you have for the same price for another 12 months on a 1 month rolling basis/cancel anytime deal in that email so if you do nothing you still pay the original price for 12 months.

However once this second offer is up you may or may not get another deal.

All of this is communicated via email, the email could be from Sky or Now, if you haven't spotted it, or you have a spam filter that sees these as spam, or you have failed to keep your details up to date  then that is usually why these price rises surprise people .

Tip : keep a track of when subscriptions/deals etc are due to expire and set up a notification in your calendar app warning of this between 1-to 2 months before they are due - and this goes for everything from roadside breakdown, TV subscription deals ( ie Disney plus 12 month) amazon prime  etc

carters

@PriceHike23To46  Mine has done the same. When my contract was about to end they sent me an email saying do nothing and you will continue at 27.50 (Great). Then a load of ads for their rubbish TV stuff. In small print at the bottom it told me that my phone deals would end next month and the £19 discount on landline calls would end. I was not notified that the change had happened they just billed me 27.50 plus 19.00 = 46.50. I did not notice that they charged this for the last three months so like you I feel cheated. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@carters 

Have you still got the email to hand? Because my contract came to an end a few months ago also and while the options all represented an unwelcome increase, the email could not have been clearer. Extracts below:

chilli2
Elite

I've got something very similar

"Do nothing and continue with your exisiting membership, or...."

and

"This includes discounts totalling £23.00 a month. Your first discount will expire 01/03/2025.

To choose this option you don't have to do a thing"

Email comes from sky at notifications dot contact dot sky

If you miss the noticfication, delete it, it goes to spam or your details are not upto date then tough.

Your options if the price has gone up are to haggle a new deal, or move elsewhere.

I would shop around to see what else is available in your area, and how mmuch it would cost and then use that as a bargaining chip when you try and haggle a new deal.

If you dont get a good price from Now then move to another ISP, do not cancel

redchiz1
Champion 2

@chilli2 

Good luck with finding a better deal with a supplier who will switch you to ADSL/VDSL. 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @chilli2 

Somebody must be supporting the 37% of UK broadband users who still can’t get FTTP……

https://labs.thinkbroadband.com/local/broadband-map#6/33.998/0.615/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

I am sure they are. But very few options arise if you are in an FTTP area, but don't actually want it, especially if you rely on a good old POTS line for your personal security alarm. Everybody's circumstances, needs and choices are different.