cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dblebill
Advocate

We noticed that someone logged in to your NOW account from a new device

As soon as I signed up for a NOW account yesterday I got a email saying "We noticed that someone logged in to your NOW account from a new device recently" the location of the device is nowhere near me so I immediately followed the advice and changed my password and signed out of my device, but as soon as I did this I got several more identical emails from NOW with the same location, has anyone else had this experience and can advise what I should do?  Thanks for reading

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
FTTC18
Scholar

Although you live in area A, your service provider (NowTV) will be providing the (Network) service from somewhere nowhere near where you live.

If you go to a browser on your main home / device (Where the NOW solution is being used) and type My IP Location and select a website that offers you this service, you will see something called an IP address that is assigned to you / your home router at that time.  This can change during the day (For a number of reasons) and also if you restart your router.  Using My IP Location services online, you will see that the IP address you’re using ( that the service provider (NOW) has allocated to you) is no where near where you live. 

I am currently in Kent and if I use iplocation (.net) my NOW broadband service is being provided from Dereham.

If I had a message from NOW TV of a new sign on and checked the IP address in the email with my current iplocation, I would expect to see the same information.

Note:  If you use VPN, this will change frequently each time you log in and out.

Note: If you reboot your router this may also change.

Even login in / out and back in again, can sometimes cause this message, depending on your device settings, cookies and current ip address allocated.

Although it is not a glitch, it can be misleading.  However, if you are ever concerned, consider using the method above to clarify if your device caused NOW to send an email, asking if it was you (Look at the email, find the IP address and then open a browser and check your current ipaddress location.  They should match, if you action promptly)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dblebill 

This will happen when you sign up and log into the website. It will happen when you clear the cookies and data of a browser to log back in. 

Wouldn't worry about it too much.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Dblebill
Advocate

Thank you for your rapid reply, I hope you are correct because this morning I have read about other folks on here complaining about similar concerns which has made me nervous because I don't want to get charged for something someone else is using without my knowledge.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Dblebill 

To stop anyone from buying something without your say so I would suggest a Payment PIN to be added to your account.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/change-pin-settings

If it helps 99% of my "devices" are web browser. Which is because of the times I have logged in so I can either come on here for the forum or manage my account.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Dblebill
Advocate

Thank you again, your information is much appreciated.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Dblebill 

This is some sort of technical glitch NOW's end, where I logged out of the NOW App on my Android tablet and then logged back in again and immediately got two emails saying new device login where somebody has logged into your account which I know was me.

The confusing thing was one email said it was a town around 20 miles where I live in South Wales, where the second email said the location was a town in Scotland (though NOW did identify the device correctly on both emails).

Dblebill
Advocate

Thank you for sharing this, it has put my mind at ease.  

Just to say,  I live on the south coast and the so called device that I'm being advised has logged into my account is in Bradford, hence my concern.

FTTC18
Scholar

Although you live in area A, your service provider (NowTV) will be providing the (Network) service from somewhere nowhere near where you live.

If you go to a browser on your main home / device (Where the NOW solution is being used) and type My IP Location and select a website that offers you this service, you will see something called an IP address that is assigned to you / your home router at that time.  This can change during the day (For a number of reasons) and also if you restart your router.  Using My IP Location services online, you will see that the IP address you’re using ( that the service provider (NOW) has allocated to you) is no where near where you live. 

I am currently in Kent and if I use iplocation (.net) my NOW broadband service is being provided from Dereham.

If I had a message from NOW TV of a new sign on and checked the IP address in the email with my current iplocation, I would expect to see the same information.

Note:  If you use VPN, this will change frequently each time you log in and out.

Note: If you reboot your router this may also change.

Even login in / out and back in again, can sometimes cause this message, depending on your device settings, cookies and current ip address allocated.

Although it is not a glitch, it can be misleading.  However, if you are ever concerned, consider using the method above to clarify if your device caused NOW to send an email, asking if it was you (Look at the email, find the IP address and then open a browser and check your current ipaddress location.  They should match, if you action promptly)

Dblebill
Advocate

Thank you for kindly explaining this, it's much appreciated.