cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
filthyrich44
Advocate

Switching to Sky full fibre and keeping my landline number.

Hey, sorry if this is in the wrong category but I wasn't sure what other to go with. I am looking to switch to Sky full fibre from Now broadband but I was told by Sky that it was not possible to keep my current landline number as Now are owned by Sky and they couldn't transfer it for some reason. It is really important that I keep the current number. So I was wondering if anyone knew of anyway I can get around this. Can I transfer the number from Now to a voip provider then Sky could then take it from there or something like that I don't know. I am not really tech savvy so something like this I am really struggling to figure out if it is something that can be done and if there is any work around for it. My Now contract is up in the next few days so is not like I am mid contract or anything. I would not be looking to leave Now if they offered full fibre services, it is only that they don't that I am going to leave. Any help anyone can give me would be very much appreciated. Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@filthyrich44 

Transfer it to a VOIP provider and run it from there?

Find a full fibre ISP who will take it on?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
filthyrich44
Advocate

Thanks for the fast reply. You don't know how you go about getting the number from NOW to be able to transfer it to Voip do you. Just didn't know if you have done it yourself. Thanks

RoyB
Legend

@filthyrich44 

Alas not; while we are on VoIP with our BT FTTP connection, we could not port our old number across. Though indeed, we didn’t want to, as we moved over a hundred miles away from that STD code 😛

A few things I do know;

BT gave us an adaptor so we could continue to use our traditional DECT phones over VoIP.

We also got a real VoIP phone, which can handle calls in and out, even if one of the DECT phones is already on a call.

There’s no local dialling with VoIP; you have to use the STD code even to ring the people next door.

You best bet is to call a couple of VoIP providers, and see what they say. One thing they will say is that Now have to agree to release the number you want to port, so you might want to ask Now if they will do that.

Another thing is that if you port the telephone number off a broadband line, the broadband stops working so timing would be an issue here; you need to port the number off Now, if you can, before you give up the line, but you will need to get Sky ready to roll in their new service tout suite.

As Sky will be FTTP, I wonder if maybe you can get that in while the Now Broadband continues via the BT Master Socket, long enough to port the number at least?

And you don’t need the Sky line to have the number you want to port; you can do it with a ‘virtual landline’:-

https://www.virtuallandline.co.uk/how-does-it-work

https://xinix.co.uk/uk-home-residential-voip-provider/?gad=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwhL6pBhDjARIsAGx8D599CBtfK...

Anyway, when you figure out what’s possible and satisfactory, please come back and explain it, as you will know more than I do by then 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
peppa
Advocate

@filthyrich44 Hello. Did you get resolution on this? I also want to switch from Now to Sky full fibre but have been told by Sky that I can't keep my landline number. I really need to keep it, so if I can't, I am stuck with Now. Ofcom say you should be able to port a number, so I don't know what the problem is, and I've previously switched between suppliers and kept the number with no problem. thanks