cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iHateNowTV

Fraudulent access via Amazon

I had an email today saying:

“Welcome on board! We’re glad you could join us. Your Amazon receipt will confirm the details of your NOW purchase”

I used to have NOW tv but I don’t anymore I let it expire. My ex did have the log in to my account but I changed my password and signed out of all devices so f*ck knows what’s going on.

Now this membership hasn’t been set up on my Amazon because there’s no receipt for it on my Amazon. I have no way of finding out whose Amazon account is now linked to my NOW TV account. I don’t think I’ll get the bill because I don’t have any payment details set up on NOW TV (changed my bank since the last payment to NOW TV). But I don’t want anyone actively using my old account because it’s just not safe.

Can’t contact my ex because he’s blocked me. What on earth do I do to get this Amazon account that I’m not linked to off my NOW TV account that should have NO active memberships?

8 REPLIES 8
RoyB
Legend

@iHateNowTV 

What address is the email from? I’m not entirely clear if it’s from Now, or if it’s from Amazon.

What I might advise you to do next will depend on the answer.

In the meantime though, go onto your Now account, and set up a Payment PIN. Then try each of Cinema, Entertainment, Sport and Hayu in turn, and see if you can start a programme.

On the ones you can’t use, you should get asked from the Payment PIN, in which case, you can back out.

If that’s all four, then nobody is using your old Now account, and you can relax as far as that goes. If you can get in to one or more, then uh-oh.

Separately, though, as regards payment, this will be going through Amazon, not Now. And while, as above, it’s not your Amazon account, is it another Amazon account that’s been opened with your details? At least with your email address? And maybe with other payment details? So you do need to get to the bottom of it 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
iHateNowTV
Hi,

You are an angel for replying so late on Christmas Eve. Thank you, this whole thing is causing me so much worry!

This is the email address:
[email removed]

I have already done this, I set up a payment pin and viewing pin for anything rated U and above, just to help whoever is using my account out the door. My Cinema account is working and they’re watching right now though, I tried to click something to watch to see if they were online and I “reached my streaming limit”. So I changed my password again and did log out of all devices & it’s not kicked them out.

I haven’t got another Amazon account and I’ve changed all my payment information since leaving the ex (for this exact reason).

I can tell that whoever is in my account has done it from a firestick as when I looked at devices I could see my firestick was logged as “android TV” and this is also showing as an android tv logging in at 21:45pm this evening. I’m not at home but I’m also confident no one’s broken into my house to watch my tv.

I’m fairly confident I won’t be charged for anything, but even so I cancelled my membership and don’t want someone else using my account. I’d rather have my whole account deleted, email removed if I’d never signed up. Is that possible?

Thank you
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@iHateNowTV 

When posting email addresses on the forum it’ll get masked due to GDPR rules. You’re best to put a space every so often on it. 

If you don’t want to delete your account shove a payment PIN on. 
https://help.nowtv.com/article/change-pin-settings
And change your password to remove ALL devices from your account.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/managing-my-devices

That said to delete your account, have a nosy at this link.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/make-a-data-request

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
iHateNowTV
Thank you, as said before I’ve done all the PIN stuff.

Thanks for the link to delete my account. That won’t work because step 1 is “cancel your membership” which I can’t do because this “Amazon managed” cinema membership is manageable only through “your Amazon account” … but it’s not my Amazon account so I can’t cancel this membership …
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@iHateNowTV 

Sorry bud I missed the PIN part of your post. 

Once the membership is cancelled via Amazon you should hopefully be able to close your account. That’s what my assumption is

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@iHateNowTV 

We still don’t know who the email was from 😢

Can you do what @gavs82008 suggested, and post the From address again with a space added after the @? That will enable us to read it.

So they are in your account after all… So, what do they know?

Your password? Not necessarily - a persistent Now sign-in, such as on a TV, is not affected by you changing your password. But think if they might know your latest one.

Your Payment PIN? I think they would have to know this to activate a new membership. So have you changed this lately? If not, you should do that now.

As regards them still being in your account, again take note of the advice from @gavs82008; change your password and your payment PIN.

But it’s not enough there to just change your password, you also need to force logouts as per:-

If you think someone’s using your account without your permission, you can force a logout from any devices you're signed in to. This means that next time anyone tries to use one of these devices, they'll need to sign in again. 

Step 1: Change your password by going to My Account and Personal details and selecting Reset password.
(And (my addition) your Payment PIN ).

Step 2: In the Devices area of My Account, select Sign out of all devices. (The device you're using to sign out from will stay signed in, so you'll still see it in your device list.)

Step 3: Sign back in on each of your devices with your new password (you'll need to reset your Box or Stick in order to do this).

That should get them off your account, and with no way back in.

Now we just have the issue of where and how Amazon got involved, if an Amazon account of yours is compromised, who it is who might be on the hook to pay for any of this, and so on. Live Chat can hopefully help you sort it out.

Some insight here, perhaps:-

https://help.nowtv.com/article/watching-now-on-amazon-devices

which covers reopening an existing account, and paying via Amazon. Hopefully the ex’s Amazon, not yours 😛

And delicately - I presume you are free of any encumbrances with your ex? If you have any - shared custody of a child or the like - try to ensure that can’t be the source of any leak…

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
iHateNowTV
Sorry if I’ve not been clear.

The email was from Now. This doesn’t really matter, I got an email from NOW TV, logged in and can see it’s not a spam email because the email said “thanks for purchasing through NOW” and I logged in & can see cinema membership has been purchased through Amazon.

I’ve already done all those steps in the last 24h:

1. Password changed & log out all devices. This didn’t seem to kick them out as they finished watching the film they were watching.

2. Whilst they were watching, I changed my payment PIN and viewing PIN. Changed my password again after that and did log out of all devices again. No one has watched a film on there since because I set a viewing PIN for all films and purchase PIN so they can’t sign up for another membership.

3. It’s not my Amazon account. I only have one account. I don’t have anyone on family or household linking. It’s just me & I’ve allowed my immediate family members to have their own profile for watching prime. I am with all my family, it’s not any of them using my now account through their Amazon account.

4. Yes I’ve got zero contact and no linkages with him. However, I did sign into my now account on his family firestick once last year. I have done the whole change password and log out of all devices multiple times since leaving him, but, strangely it was a firestick being used to watch a film last night.

So I guess just have to use the live chat and see if they can de-link this Amazon account to my NOW TV? Once that’s done, I will delete my account but I can’t delete it whilst there’s an active membership. And I can’t cancel this membership as that has to be done from whichever Amazon account is linked to it …

Such an odd scenario.

RoyB
Legend

@iHateNowTV 

Much clearer, thanks.

Live Chat should be able to cancel that membership, as it’s your Now account, and you don’t want this membership to stand, under the circumstances.

Good luck!