cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lucy2
Advocate

False Advertising

I signed up for this offer that they advertised "New Entertainment and Cinema members only. 6-month minimum terms for Entertainment: £6.99 a month (usually £9.99 a month) and for Cinema: £7 a month (usually £9.99 a month). After the minimum terms end, your Entertainment Membership auto-renews at £9.99 a month and Cinema Membership auto-renews at £9.99 a month". However I have also been getting charged an extra £6 a month for "Boost" which was not mentioned at all in the sign up so instead of £13.99 a month I'm getting charged £19.99 a month which I am not prepared to pay. However without it I will have to have adverts? Feeling completely scammed and want to cancel the whole thing.

4 REPLIES 4
PaulNormanUK
Scholar 3

False Advertising? No. It clearly states that you get access to Boost on a 7-day trial basis and that you will be charged £6 per month once the trial period comes to an end.

Screenshot 2024-06-03 124321.png

Entertainment & Cinema Disclaimer:
After the 6-month minimum term Entertainment and Cinema Memberships auto-renew monthly at £9.99 a month each. Cancel anytime effective at the end of the minimum term. New Boost members only. After your 7 day free trial Boost auto-renews at £6 a month unless cancelled. Cancel anytime.

Lucy2
Advocate

@PaulNormanUK 

I did not use that offer to sign up though I actually signed up for just the cinema and then it offered the entertainment at the end. You can do them separately so you can just do £7 a month for just the cinema option. So no there was no mention of the boost when you do it that way.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Lucy2 

To follow-up from @PaulNormanUK free trials of boost is on ALL membership offers on the offer section. They are also clearly stated as such.

Also before you think nah I don't want or need this, read this in full about boost.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost
Play the cancel game as I have been paying £2 for the last 2 years and at least until November.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Lucy2 @PaulNormanUK 

It’s not false advertising, but Now obtain your ‘consent’ to a trial of Boost by including it in what you signed up for, with a tiny little grey ‘Remove’ that most everybody does not notice.

And not noticing it, and not realising that you have the free trial, and thus not cancelling it before it it turns into a paid subscription, you find you are paying out more than you thought.

But Now have not validly obtained your consent at all, according to subparagraph 2 of the:-

The Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013:-

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134#top

Which provide in paragraph 40 that:-

40.—(1) Under a contract between a trader and a consumer, no payment is payable in addition to the remuneration agreed for the trader's main obligation unless, before the consumer became bound by the contract, the trader obtained the consumer's express consent.

(2) There is no express consent (if there would otherwise be) for the purposes of this paragraph if consent is inferred from the consumer not changing a default option (such as a pre-ticked box on a website).

(3) This regulation does not apply if the trader's main obligation is to supply services within regulation 6(1)(b), but in any other case it applies even if an additional payment is for such services.

(4) Where a trader receives an additional payment which, under this regulation, is not payable under a contract, the contract is to be treated as providing for the trader to reimburse the payment to the consumer.

And according to subparagraph 4 above, they are contractually obliged to pay back any moneys taken for this.

But yes, without it, you will get adverts in On Demand programmes (you get adverts in the linear (live) channels anyway). And only 720p instead of Full HD on the devices that support this, and stereo, not surround, and only one user at a time.

So Boost can be a good thing to have, but it would seem that Now don’t have the confidence to market it honestly and straightforwardly 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.