cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beth7
Advocate

Advertisement

if I’m paying for something monthly, why do I have to watch adverts? Isn’t the whole point of having a paid subscription is to be ad free? The service should be free if they are gonna make me watch adverts half way through a show. 

5 REPLIES 5
Tompo
Scholar 2

@Beth7 

It's no surprise sadly, NOW used to be ad free on demand (and allow 2 simultaneous streams) but they have been around for long enough that their customer base has probably got close to as large as it's ever going to get, therefore NOW's revenue will have stagnated. In an environment where growth is everything that is bad news. The only real ways for them to increase revenue without adding customers was to have ads or charge more for the same service, in this instance £6 per month extra for Boost to get rid of ads and get 3 simultaneous streams, with 1080p and DD5.1 added to soften the blow.

Amazon Prime are doing exactly the same thing next year. In five years they'll all come up with another cunning way to make the viewing experience worse unless you pay for some new add-on they invent.

RoyB
Legend

@Tompo 

That doesn’t really square with Now merging Kids into Entertainment though, which takes away the revenue stream for Kids, with, I would surmise, only a small amount of extra revenue from those who had Kids but not Entertainment, and who now pay extra for Entertainment just to get Kids.

There will also be those who, hit with ads during On Demand, and/or the reduction of permitted simultaneous streams from two to one, remove themselves from Now altogether, rather than pay for Boost, thereby reducing Now’s revenue.

But no doubt Now have done their sums, and found that Boost revenue plus On Demand ad revenue outweighs these revenue reductions.

And so Now are quite happy to let members rail ineffectually about these matters here, knowing that many will grumble but will knuckle under; and that those who leave will be more than paid for by those who stay.

And Now won’t shed a tier for them…

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Beth7 

Ah good another thread on adverts.....which has been discussed/moaned to death. All the big streaming services are throwing adverts at us and to pay extra to get rid of them.

• Disney+ ad tier coming at the end of the year
  • Netflix already has an ad tier
  • Amazon bringing theirs next year
  • Discovery+ has ads and you can't even get rid of them 😡
  • Paramount+ has already shown their full intention to give us an ad tier

Do we like them, of course not. They are here to stay though.

To get rid of third party adverts from on demand content you need to take out boost.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads

This will NOT remove the trailers for NOW/Sky content. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
iwatchusleep
Observer

or instead i can stop using them and hit up my good friend jack sparrow 

RoyB
Legend

@iwatchusleep 

That's a Very Piratical Notion….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.