cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smoke
Advocate

Ads are getting insane.

Honestly I just want to talk about how insane this is becoming.
I'm watching a 45 minute episode and have 6 UNSKIPPABLE 25-40 second adverts, that's not even including the 1:08 advert BEFORE it begins, it is absolutely unacceptable, I pay for a subscription service so I don't have to deal with ads similar to television, no other subscription service I pay for has this, why is this a thing and why does it feel like milking the current subscribers.
This needs to end or I'm likely going to cancel my subscription to this service, is anyone else feeling the same or is it just me?

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@smoke 

It isn’t going to end, not a chance in hell. As much as we can’t stand them, they are here to stay. 

Netflix has an ad tier.
Disney+ is launching theirs at the end of the year.
Discovery+ doesn’t even have an ad free tier!

If you don’t want ads like me all you can do is take out boost.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/can-i-watch-without-ads

FYI play the cancel game with boost and you’ll no doubt get a reduced rate. Which is how I am paying £2 a month for it.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
TooManyAds
Advocate

@smoke things are insane and they are screwing the shows.. will not renew my membership in a month...

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@TooManyAds @Dxtr 

Unfortunately that’s just how the streaming market is going.
Netflix and Disney+ shoved in ads last year.
Amazon just added ads.
Discovery+ has had ads from the get go.

The main difference between those bunch is Discovery+ doesn’t even let you pay to get rid of them. Hell the stupid premium version doesn’t have no ads as standard!

Totally can’t stand ads, although NOW do and should merge the cinema and entertainment memberships into one for the same price at £9.99.

Also 1080p and 5.1 as an additional cost is ludicrous!

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Dxtr
Advocate

@smoke 💯 dark pattern user experience. Since when was annoying existing subscribers into paying more any way to build brand loyalty? It just breeds resentment. Streaming took off because it was more convenient than a: renting dvds and b: torrents (illegal). When any service becomes prohibitively expensive and intolerably inconvenient e.g. too many ads, customers inevitably vote with their feet and choose other options.

RoyB
Legend

@smoke @gavs82008 @gavs82008 @TooManyAds 

Anybody like to tell me the difference between preaching to the choir and p*ssing into the wind?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.