cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

NowTV - file under 'Too hard'

So having received a teaser email from NowTV featuring The Trip to Spain - something we wanted to watch - thought I'd sign up for the free trial Entertainment Pass. Got all excited.  Also to see if the available film choices had got any better since the last time we looked (they haven't).

Only to discover that our YouView box only supports movies.  OK.  Now realise it's not as straightforward as perhaps one thought.  So start looking at the list of devices to see what we might be able to use to view The Trip.  Click...click...click.  So much junk on their pages.  Waste so much time trying to see if one can. Gave up trying that route.

OK...maybe there might be a better route in via the Entertainment Pass route.  Nope. Nada.

So...will file NowTV under 'too hard or rather can't be bothered'.

7 REPLIES 7
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

You are right only movies are available on YouView boxes.

Have a look at the following list of supported devices as you might find you already have something that you can watch entertainment on. If not, a NOW TV box is probably your cheapest option, especially as these are sold with a bundle of passes making them effectively free.

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Supported-devices

If you do have another compatible device such as a games console, Roku, Chromecast etc that you want to set up, you can find more details here

http://help.nowtv.com/article/How-to-Get-NOW-TV-on-your-device

Anonymous User
Not applicable

But they have gone about this the wrong way.  Simple matrix...what do you want to watch down one side, and devices along the top.  I've already been down those links and they're not very helpful as they just list devices.  No active links to the actual devices.

Even if you come at it another way, say, clicking on http://www.nowtv.com/devices/appletv  ...  it's not clear (well, not to me) if boxed sets are viewable using Apple TV.  Every page refers to NowTV with no distinction between the availability of liveTV, boxed sets or movies.  

If I look at the link to the NowTV box, nowhere can I see anything about boxed sets. 

As I said in my OP, they don't make it easy.  Way too much white space as well....scroll..scroll..scroll...

So...NowTV...life is too short. I have better things to do than waste anymore time with their website.

But I appreciate your help.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yep I see where you are coming from. It's only YouView that doesn't carry the entertainment pass, all the other devices on that list you can use your entertainment pass on and you'll be able to watch the live channels, boxsets and catch up episodes that come with your entertainment pass.

So if you have any of those other devices in your house you should be good to go.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

...good to go ?  Smiley Happy  Not so fast.

Would prefer to watch on the TV and so spotted AppleTV.  But there are four versions of AppleTV and the NowTV website does not pecify which models are supported.  

So NowTV is still very much in the 'Too hard and can't be bothered' camp.  If NowTV can't be bothered to provide this rather key piece of information then ......

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

If you're interested Argos are currently offering the following 'black' box 'bundle' deals: -

NOW TV 'black' box with 3 month 'Entertainment' pass @ £24.99

NOW TV 'black' box with 2 month 'Cinema' pass @ £24.99

Cheers

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

...good to go ?  Smiley Happy  Not so fast.

@Anonymous User Oops, poor choice of words perhaps? 😉

Definitely not ATV1, 3 and 4 definitely do work and I think 2 does as well, I used to watch on an ATV3. As long as your ATV is set to UK and logged into iTunes you should see a NOW TV app preloaded on the homescreen. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

My Apple TV 3 works fine with the NowTV App, however the UI is pretty out dated now and it looks to me that NowTV have no interest in the future to improve their app on the ATV platform Smiley Sad

I have tried various NowTV playback devices overtime and IMO the best and most stable of them all which get regular software updates and the UI is far superior to the ATV are the NowTV (black) box or the Roku 2 or 3 boxes.

Just my two pennies worth.