cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Robski
Advocate

The Sad Delusion of a VPN buyer

I live in both the UK and the Netherlands, and was advised by my son to get a VPN in order to access Sky Sports via NOW (to which I subscribed) whenever I am in the EU. However, I have just made my first attempt to access NOW/Sky via this method and been told onscreen that I cannot gain access from here!

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Robski 

You would only be able to watch NOW in the UK. Outside of that thanks to Brexit is not going to happen. 

NOW forbid the use of VPN to access their content. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Robski 

You would only be able to watch NOW in the UK. Outside of that thanks to Brexit is not going to happen. 

NOW forbid the use of VPN to access their content. 

Robski
Advocate
Many thanks for the crap news!! I've been sold a dud, then.

Take care.
Jayach
Elite 3

Which VPN did you try?

It might be worth trying a couple, most allow you to cancel if they don't do what you want.

I would give Nord a try, but you might find this useful:

How to Watch Sky Sports From Anywhere With a VPN in 2023 (wizcase.com)

Jayach
Elite 3

P.S. it has nothing to do with Brexit, the same restrictions were there when we were vassals to the great european superstate. It's all about money nothing else.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jayach 
It absolutely has to do with Brexit and the awful deal that was put in place. At least when we were in the EU we could stream NOW abroad, albeit for up to 30 days.

Jayach
Elite 3

@gavs82008 wrote:

@Jayach 
 At least when we were in the EU we could stream NOW abroad, albeit for up to 30 days.

Did that include Sky sports, which is what the OP wants to watch.

How did it work for someone (like the OP) who lives in both? Was it cumulative, or did the 30 days restart after every return to the UK?

@gavs82008 wrote:

@Jayach 
Brexit and the awful deal that was put in place. 

There we agree, we should have just stuck 2 fingers up to them. (like the original English archers)

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jayach 

It was all NOW channels that could be watched for up to 30 days in the EU. And yes you’re right it would require restarting the 30 days by using it in the UK at that point. 

redchiz1
Champion 2

Ah, I remember it well, I used it with no issues when visiting Krakow a few years back. BBC iPlayer as well, now also unavailable. Thanks to Brexit, no other reason. Them were the rules and agreements which the UK opted out of by leaving the EU. Anybody recall mobile roaming as well? 😢

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

O2 still offer this in the EU, as do the people like Tesco, who piggyback on O2.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.