cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TimBo
Mentor

New customer. Very slow broadband. Will it get better?

Hello

I joined a few days ago, so am going through the '10 day speed fluctuation period' but my internet is virtually unusable.

I'm getting the full 70K  at the router (Hub Two) but I'm only getting 0.2M at my computer. I've heard the routers aren't the best but is mine faulty?

P.S The router also had the wrong password on it's sticker when It turned up.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@TimBo 

Are you using Wifi or Ethernet?

For Wifi try splitting the bands.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Otherwise try another router altogether the one from NOW isn't the best. Quick search on the forum will show you that. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@TimBo 

Thats a massive discrepancy (as I assume you meant 70 Mbps).

Can you measure the speed on your computer when it is connected to the router by an Ethernet cable?

If that is OK, suspect faulty WiFi on the router.

If it is just as slow that way, though, then get on to Now, don’t wait 10 days, as there is something wrong with your install.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
TimBo
Mentor

@RoyBHi

I think it may just be a problem with the router's range. I've used  my phone to do a speed test and it's showing 70Mbps (it's also showing that when I log into the router) but it reduces to around 10 when I test it around 3 metres away.

Since writing the speed at the computer has gone from 0.2 to 42Mbps, but if I'm also streaming YouTube on the telly it goes down to 0.05Mbps.

I'll try splitting the bands first, then try my ancient router.

Thanks for your help.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@TimBo 

Are you using Wifi or Ethernet?

For Wifi try splitting the bands.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Otherwise try another router altogether the one from NOW isn't the best. Quick search on the forum will show you that. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
TimBo
Mentor

@RoyB 

@gavs82008I'm connected by wi-fi. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll give them a go. My previous router had split bands by default and that came in handy sometimes.

I knew the routers weren't very good but I would have expected to be able to use a computer and stream YouTube at the same time.

Thanks for your help