cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PeterPeterson
Mentor

Fair Usage Policy

Hi,

I'm in my first few days of your service. It's awfully slow at 50mbit/s... but that's a given when only FTTC is available to my property - it's a real shame.

Anyway, does you're Super Fibre tier have a fair usage policy of any kind? I expect to use at least 10 terabytes a month and would not want to see any bandwidth restrictions put in place whatsoever.

Cheers

PeterPeterson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PeterPeterson 

Have a look at this link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-broadband-traffic-management-policy

On this forum you don’t tend to get replies from NOW staff. So you need to try not say “you and your” in posts. As it will generally be customers like you and me posting replies to try help out.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@PeterPeterson 

Have a look at this link.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/now-broadband-traffic-management-policy

On this forum you don’t tend to get replies from NOW staff. So you need to try not say “you and your” in posts. As it will generally be customers like you and me posting replies to try help out.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
PeterPeterson
Mentor

I see, thanks for your assistance!

redchiz1
Champion 2

I think you would have found out by now. Or are you intending to download the entire internet in the few days before you leave?

PeterPeterson
Mentor

Haha I work with lots of data (both download & upload), over 1PB at my last house due to having gigabit. I've got 30+ devices on my home network, some latency sensitive but mostly just large data users. Of course just using the now hub for its modem capability and use Ubiquiti for everything 

I don't think my usage is too abnormal for technical people? The last time I lived with an openreach connection fair usage was the norm and very frustrating for power users

The answer above answered my question luckily. 

RoyB
Legend

@PeterPeterson 

I know it’s cellular, but Three are shifting 10 terabytes an hour, apparently:-

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/three-data-traffic

So 720 users like you wouldn’t leave much (any!) bandwidth for the rest of us 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite 2

Shifting that amout of data sounds like it could be for work related stuff, as opposed to home/domestic , and one thing you should be aware of is that Now broadband is geared towards home/domestic and not work users.

There have been a few people who hve posted on here that have run into issues as a result of using the service for critical work tasks where the service level is not the same as it would be for a bussiness internet service , primaruly related to lower levels of customer support and if things go wrong it will take longer to fix meaning you could have a longer period with no internet access.

Is an xDSL based domestic/home service apropiate for your usage, or would you be better with a full fibre/FTTP service or bussiness account geared up to your needs?

RoyB
Legend

I keep worrying at this one like a dog with a bone 😢

Here’s a couple of figures:-

50 Mbps download, rule of thumb is it takes ten bits to download an 8-bit byte, with the overhead and all, so that’s 5 * 10^6 Bytes per second;

Number of seconds in a month is 60*60*24*365.25/12 (for a mythical average month), which is 2.63 * 10^6 seconds.

Which gives 13.15 * 10^12, which is just over 13 terabytes.

So unless I am out by an order of magnitude or two, even a 50 Mbps line can pull down over 10 terabytes in a month.

10^3 - Kilobyte

10^6 - Megabyte

10^9 - Gigabyte

10^12 - Terabyte

In concrete terms, a terabyte of data is equivalent to any of the following:

• 472 hours of broadcast-quality videos;
  • 130,000 digital photos;
  • 150 hours of high-definition recordings; or
  • 2,000 hours of CD-quality recordings.

I’ve no idea what data-hoovering service could sustain that stream times ten, nor from where, but on paper at least, it looks doable.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.