cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart TV DNS Setting

Hi, I have a Samsung Smart TV purchased in Dubai and set to Asia/Europe region.

I would like to watch BBC iplayer and have downloaded the app and opened it.  However when I tried to watch a program it says your device is not currently supported.  

Trying to find a solution entering the Smart DNS setting manually was recommended.  How do I find the Smart DNS setting and is this the problem?  

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User I wouldn't be bold enough to say that is your exact solution to the problem. There are lots of instructions online on how to change DNS settings on a Samsung TV.

https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+tv+dns+settings+uk&oq=Samsung+TV+change+dns&aqs=chrome.4.69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l5j0i390.9151j0j7&client=ms-android-oneplus&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

If you follow some of those links and have no joy, maybe your question would be best directed to the Samsung community.

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/tv/bd-p/uk-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the links.  Have a great day 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Are you having trouble with other Apps on your Samsung Smart TV from the television you purchased abroad ?

If so and you are now based in the UK and the television has been brought over to the UK, then before buying a streaming stick or box, perhaps try this information on this internet article below which was posted on the Samsung TV users forum.

https://thevpn.guru/change-samsung-smart-tv-tizen-os-region  

Don't know if it will work or your Samsung Smart TV is applicable, but maybe worth a shot.

Otherwise go ahead with hooking up an external streaming device to your imported television.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Saint1976

Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the detailed info.  It seems a Roku is the easiest way forward.  Have a great day 🙂

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi, but where does Now come in to this?

If you are in the UK, and on Now Broadband, and your TV (whose model number you do not specify) is reported as not supported by the BBC iPlayer, then this is probably because it is not a UK model.

The usual purpose of Smart DNS is to circumvent georestrictions without the overhead of a VPN, and you would need to subscribe to a Smart DNS service to utilise this. My experience of both is that it is a game of whack-a-mole, where the streaming service suppliers latch on to the Smart DNS server and VPN IP addresses and block them, and the providers of those services then get cleverer. Rinse and repeat, ad nauseum.

But that would only be useful to you if you were not in the UK, and trying to access UK-only services from outside, something we cannot help you with.

However, if you are in the UK and have imported this TV, your simplest option to get UK players is to buy a Roku or Amazon streaming device, plug that into your TV, and use it,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.