cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

BBC IPLAYER PROBLEM

IVe just signed into my new black box, it did all its updates, tried BBC Iplayer, but no option to spect HD, I went into settings/ video quality & it was on SD, the option above is normally HD, but it says Best Quality. I selected this, reset Iplayer & watched a programme, doesn't look HD & when you press down, there is no HD/SD tab (like one 3 white now TV boxes) it just says info/Subtitles.
301 REPLIES 301
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Yes, the new way is also being rolled out on the white boxes now, presumably via an update.

I also notice that my white box sometimes forgets to play 720p HD on all services, I have to go to settings, change it to 4:3 or 19:9 then back to 720p HD again to get it back then its fine again for another month or so, strange.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, the new way is also being rolled out on the white boxes now, presumably via an update.

I also notice that my white box sometimes forgets to play 720p HD on all services, I have to go to settings, change it to 4:3 or 19:9 then back to 720p HD again to get it back then its fine again for another month or so, strange.

Hi  @Anonymous User

That's because with each iPlayer app update the iPlayer settings return to defaults and you have to change the iPlayer settings again. But as I say this will only occur when ever the iPlayer app gets updated

Hope that helpsSmiley Happy

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes but on the white boxes, you can very easily check by pressing down whilst watching a stream & it will highlight if it's Sd or HD, how are you supposed to know now?
Anonymous User
Not applicable

But unlike the old box, it doesn't tell you when it's streaming in HD
Anonymous User
Not applicable

http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/tv/no_hdswitch_tv

It now works the same as NOW TV you get the best possible stream and instead of buffering they just drop the bitrate.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yep, I moved to the black NOW TV box and everything on iplayer via the box is clearly SD - even though my download speed is a rock solid 12 Mbps (which shows the Now TV programmes in glorious HD no problem.)  Progress! LOL. Probably should go back to the white box - when I got iplayer in HD no problem at all.

Come on Now TV, get in touch with the Beeb and bang your heads together to sort this out!!!!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User have you been in to the settings to select best quality? The BBC determine the quality to give you based on the speed of the Internet it's seeing. DNS proxies and VPNs can impact these tests.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"have you been in to the settings to select best quality? "

I have indeed. Yes.

I don't use a DNS proxy or a VPN.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

I am sure you have done this already, but have you tried to delete the BBC app and then reinstall it back again ?

Personally i have never had a problem with the BBC i player in terms of streaming quality from the NowTV black box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I hadn't tried the uninstall, re-install trick before, schapps.

Just tried it now - uninstalled iplayer app, unplugged Now TV box, plugged in Now TV box again, re-installed iplayer app, switched vido quality in iplayer app to "High" and ...... success!!

Back to watching BBC programmes in HD on my Now TV box again.

Thank you very much for your help! Wish I'd thought to do it myself sooner!