cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

WiFi cutting out when landline rings

When the landline rings the Internet cuts out and takes maybe 10 minutes to kick back in after the call has ended. The calls are also crackled and extremely hard to hear the other person also the other person hears the line problems too. The only solutions I can find online relate to cordless phones but my phone is corded. It's as far away from the router as possible. I have a NowTV filter and original cables. I've had the router and the phone approx 2 years although I'm only noticing the problem now that I actually use the landline. I've spoke with nowtv about this and it seems to be a problem within my home but no one can actually say what the problem may be or how to fix it. Any help would be massively appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P. S. I'm not techy in the slightest so I will need step by step instructions 😂

2 REPLIES 2
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Can you please post a photo of your master socket?

I have seen broadband filters fail, so you should try a known-to-be good new microfilter, about £5 from Amazon, if you don’t have a spare handy. Maybe there is one still unused, in the box the router came in?

If this fixes things, no need to go further, and you have avoided a £120+ callout from BT Openreach.

But if not, then you need to be running your router and the phone, at least temporarily, off the master socket, and not off any subsequent house wiring.

If the phone being rung, over a good broadband microfilter on a master socket that needs one, still affects the broadband, on a router likewise connected directly to the master socket, then your final test is to unplug the phone from the filter, but leave the filter connected, and try ringing it again.

Do this from your mobile, so you know it’s being rung, as you won’t hear a ring with the landline phone disconnected.

There are three possible outcomes:-

Problem still exists with phone disconnected - needs to be addressed by BT Openreach, if NowTV Broadband are confident it is not a problem with the router

Problem exists with phone connected, but not with it disconnected - suspect a fault in the handset, try another one.

Problem ceases when everything is moved to the Master Socket - suspect a fault in your internal telephone wiring.

If BT Openreach are to be involved, this must be requested through NowTV Broadband; and as the problem is in the master socket, or further up the line back to the exchange, this will not be chargeable to you.

But the resolution, if the fault is with one of the other two possibilities,  is for you to deal with, however you choose.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB 

Hi El

You said, "I have a NowTV filter and original cables. I've had the router and the phone approx 2 years...".

Does this mean you've been using the same micro-filter for two years?

Well, since I've been using the Internet, some 15 - 20 years now (maybe even longer), I've had to change my micro-filters every year, they fail almost like clockwork and therefore I always keep a spare or two on hand. So I am somewhat surprised that you have one that has lasted up to  2 years.

Anyway, Roy has given you some comprehensive advice, while mine is just based on my own experience.

UK Bob