cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bonny
Advocate

Wi-Fi security

Hi,

my Wi-Fi is very insecure, and has an outdated wps2, that should now be wiped off your old routers.

I phoned up 2 weeks ago and was told I would have a new router posted out to me, I haven’t received this.

I have just phoned your company up, to be told they have no record of me phoning up and this being said that I would have one posted out, all your calls are recorded?

wps3 has been out since 2018.

Are you going to post a new updated wps3  out to me?

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Bonny 

We are all just customers here like you, so you will need to ring Now Broadband on the number Now will have supplied you with (and which you may not be able to find, so it gets quoted and requoted in about 50% of the threads on here, so have a hunt round).

But here’s the Wikipedia entry about WPS, and it doesn’t mention any version changes:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Setup

So where are you getting your information from?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

not will not supply a new router, if WPA3 is comming they may be able to do this via a firmware update, but odds on they wont.

Apart form that there is no to little reason why WPA2 no longer suffices for a home/domestic product .

Short answer, if your paranoia deems you must have WPA3 then get your own router/wifi access point

Bonny
Advocate
Paranoia??
This security is rubbish!
Hackers can easily get past this outdated wps2!
RoyB
Legend

@Bonny 

How many WPA3 (sic!)-enabled devices do you currently own?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

Realistically you need to look at where the real threats are, all wifi networks can be hacked so to speak, but the chances of someone gaining access to your wifi network are so small with wpa1 or 2 or even wep it shouldn't be an issue .

To do that they will need to be within range of your router, and be able to crack the security, and the now router isn't known for wifi range.

The real security risks are elsewhere, things such as online fraud, phishing, scams, and other devices on your network which connect to your router that are not secure.

Someone breaking the security on a domestic router In a domestic residential area isn't something to worry about