cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

USB/SD DISABLED NOT A HAPPY BUNNY

Heard about the new box on several internet sites and mentioning new USB features, went to Now TV yesterday and they have spec listing as follows so thought I'd upgrade my white box

USB media formats:
Video: MP4 (H.264), MKV (H.264)
Audio: AAC, MP3
Image: JPG, PNG
Remote:
Infra Red
Compatible with various universal remotes
Ports:
HDMI (cable included), Ethernet, microSD card slot, USB

NOWHERE does it say that that this hardware is disabled unless you scroll through the help section which given the simplicity of set-up owning one already I saw no reason to do:

Micro SD & USB

You’re currently unable to connect the NOW TV Box to a Micro SD card, or other expandable media storage devices.

It might be subsidised pricewise expected that given it's closed channel list compared to a standard Roku but the lack of openess regarding this is pretty poor!

177 REPLIES 177
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Your over-use of CAPITOL LETTERS in your topic title would indeed suggest you're not happy!

Maybe the following will be of interest: http://community.nowtv.com/t5/NOW-TV-Box-black/The-new-nowtv-box-when-please/m-p/319031#M81

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oops my bad didn't mean to flame, thanks for the info I know it's only £15 but they should really state somewhere obvious that these ports are disabled I'd have still upgraded anyway just for the faster processor.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User neither are disabled, it's just a lack of an app to play media from the USB stick. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

There are ways of enabling the USB as far as I know, but it involves side loading apps.  Maybe a Google search would explain how.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks guys I was aware that the roku media player app isn't included but after going into the secret menu and getting failed to mount errors on a USB test I presumed the firmware set it to power only and locked out functionality somehow.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sky / NowTV definitely need to amend that "tech specs" section, it's blatent false advertising. I'm sure somebody just copied and pasted from the Roku 3 specs or something, but it's no excuse. I recomended the new box to two family members on the basis of it being able to play mp4 / mkv. Yes sure I can sideload a Roku USB app for them, but it's still a hassle that could have been avoided.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum.  If you do a search you can sideload an app which will enable the USB portSmiley Happy

I hope this helps, if not please re-post and a member of the NOW TV Team/forum member will be able to offer you further support.

EDIT - apologies misread post, you're not keen on sideloadingSmiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

please can you explain on how to do this? and where i might find the tools to be able to do this job. really want to get this set up so i can plug my usb device and watch some films. thank you in advance.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

LeeMac wrote: please can you explain on how to do this? and where i might find the tools to be able to do this job. really want to get this set up so i can plug my usb device and watch some films. thank you in advance.

Please refer to my earlier post. Click on the link and find artesea's post with includes a 'zip' file Smiley Wink