cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

PG Tips Mr Shifter another funny add from the 80s
150 REPLIES 150
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Here are my two favourite cartoons when growing up has a small kid, like @Andy mentioned was a big Muttley fan where i enjoyed Wacky Races, but also loved watching Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines "stop the pigeon".

Also enjoyed Hong Kong Phooey on Saturday mornings "Who is this Super Hero".

[video]

[video]

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Because @Andy has renamed this thread "Super Bumper Childhood Memories" i have added a photo of my first proper bicycle "Rayleigh Chopper" in flame red, wished i kept that bike they fetch serious money nowadays.

john2.jpg 

Going to have a think on what "Toys" i had growing up as a child and will post back later, would be interested to know what Toys everybody had.

Always remember my Sister was mad on the Cabbage Patch Dolls (she had quite a few of them) and after watching the adverts on TV she was convinced they were delivered into this world by a Cabbage Patch Maternity Doctor & Nurse in a real Hospital Smiley Very Happy.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 Rosie and Jim? That's not Rosie and Jim who live in the canal boat with a catchy theme song is it? Blimey I remember that one! 😄

@schnapps ah yes used to like Hong Kong Phooey as well but not as much as the others, maybe because I didn't have a crush on Rosemary the telephone operator! 😉

Cmon @ukbobboy what cartoons were you into?

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

@caseyb1993 Rosie and Jim? That's not Rosie and Jim who live in the canal boat with a catchy theme song is it? Blimey I remember that one! 😄

@Andy Yup, that's the one! I was obsessed with it. (In fact, I was with all the others I mentioned. :D) 

Nothing would beat coming home from school to CITV and CBBC to catch my shows! 😄

Did you say Space invaders? I used to have to get my dad to shoot the last one for me. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 Did you ever used to watch Power Rangers as a kid? I rented the movie over the weekend and surprised myself that I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, makes me want to try some of the TV show, although I'm guessing it will be extremely cheesy!!

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Power Rangers were never my thing. My friends were obsessed but I never got into it. 

@schnapps I did have a furby but I was obsessed with Polly Pockets!

I still have every single one. 🙂

My favourite was Polly Pocket Fairy School play set. 🙂

Until my brother broke it. 😞

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Andy (and the Gang)

You asked, "C'mon,  what cartoons were you into?", well my "blast from the past" choice is pretty boring and short, if I just count the ones I've seen on TV, that is about 3.

1) The Flintstones.

This cartoon was well written and had a new story every week, I enjoyed it because it was funny as well as intelligent, i.e. it never descended into outright stupidity. 

2) Johnny Quest.

The first action cartoon I remember ever seeing, I used to run home from primary school so that I could watch this animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0kg_tzQvf4

3) Tom & Jerry

This was the funniest cartoon ever, nothing can come close to it.  However, there was a time when it was banned for being too violent and so the later episodes had to be toned down, those versions were anaemic.

And finally, the only current animation I try to watch nowadays, when I can catch it on CITV, is "Marvel's Avengers: Ultron Revolution".

That's it folks, catch you later.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Yeah The Flintstones were very much The Simpsons of their time with their satirical look at modern day life, a cartoon that adults could get just as much out of as children.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Andy @caseyb1993 @schnapps

That's it folks, catch you later.

UK Bob

@ukbobboy You should have Looney Tunes on that list. "That's all folks!" would have been perfect. 😄

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993@Andy @schnapps

Sorry Casey

Although I liked some of the "Looney Tunes" cartoons I was never really a fan, it was something I would watch if it was on.

(Boring) UK Bob