cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Speed & Usage upgrade guidance

I have just begun my second week of my 14-day Free Trial with NOWtv (Sky Cinema & Ent’t Passes) after being staggered to find I’d used up 7.9Gb of my monthly 12Gb allowance with BT just watching 3 episodes of “Westworld” in HD!!  So obviously I am looking to upgrade to “Unlimited Usage” but need a little techie help please.

A speed test of my high-end iMac 27” with an ADSL hub shows its download speed is approx 7.3Mbps, which is miles away from even the minimum speed when switching to any of BT’s Infinity packages.  But ignoring the “Up to 17Mb” speed at £20pm, “Up to 52Mbps” with 45Gb usage is (just) “£23pm” while “Up to 76Mbps” and “Totally Unlimited Usage” is £32.50pm.

Better still, as a long-term user of both landline, mobile and Broadband, on recognising my account, they are offering either 52Mbps and 76Mbps both with Unlimited Usage for just £22pm (plus existing line rental).  The former is plus a £50 Infinity activation fee while that is waived for the latter, which is claimed to be 32% off their regular price.

Obvious conclusion then is to accept the latter.  And while that may be the case, I’d appreciate popular confirmation – because, for instance, that deal may expire after the initial 18-month contract – and any other tips, but am I missing anything before upgrading to that with BT please?  I don’t actually wish to switch suppliers, even NOWtv (so hope this whole post is allowed!), unless the difference is substantial.  Many thanks for wading through the above which I’m sure is “bl**ding obvious” to the great majority of you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it is one of reasons I have unlimited broadband. Streaming services use a lot of data. When I changed broadband I asked previous company what my usage was. It was over 100gb a month and I don't "game".
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User it is one of reasons I have unlimited broadband. Streaming services use a lot of data. When I changed broadband I asked previous company what my usage was. It was over 100gb a month and I don't "game".
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@4268 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous User

Yep, I couldn't agree more with @4268 Unlimited broadband for the win. I dread to think what my data usage might data usage is as I've started watching stuff in 4K (if the content and service supports it)

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @4268

Hi Guys

Reading this thread has made me curious about my monthly usage, so I had a quick look at my ISP stats and they say I've used 92.26GB so far this month, i.e. from 10th Oct - 9th Nov, and my BB line is nothing fancy.

Therefore, "unlimited" is definitely the way to go.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Many thanks to all 3 of you:  4268, commanda6 and Wlat, for your kind responses.

Wlat: unfortunately, your post arrived just too late for me as I’d just confirmed my order to BT for an upgrade to Unlimited BT Infinity 2”. But as you say, it seemed to be built-in to the deal so, ays, “why not”! At least, it seems my post has helped UK Bob.  🙂

The bad news was that I have to wait a full 16 days or more before the upgraded service can be installed and activated. I hate(d) to think what astronomic costs over that period would apply at £1.80 per gigabyte, if each episode of just Westworld would cost up to £5!  Better not watch anything else this month?  However.....

The good news is that there are actual human beings behind the vast BT behemoth once you’ve patiently navigated all the options and “joined the queue” as they were “very busy” this morning. Along with the less important request to amend my inflexible on-line order, by removing the Answer Calling feature – unnecessary having just bought a new pair of BT phones which have an answering-machine built in, thereby saving me over £40 @ £2.25pm – significant success with obtaining a solution as described in the preceding paragraph.

BT was unable to either waive or at least reduce the £1.80 per Gb charge nor extend the 12Gb limit. But as good as: ‘Scott’, via his supervisor, agreed to cancel the upgrade order confirmed last evening and after a 24-hour delay, would apply “Unlimited Usage” to my account until the official activation date – though now extended further by up to 6 days – ie: end of November – when I could “re-contract” with a new order!

Moral: when faced with automated implacability by these huge organisations these days, try a phone-call and the human touch. So often, there is an option available which, as in the above instance, can save a fortune, if you can just speak with someone.

Hope this helps future readers.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Delighted to know it all worked out so well for you, and I'm glad if I was able to be of some help.

Best wishes,

Wlat

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

You have received some good advice in the previous posts.

However, do not confuse "downstream speed" with maximum monthly usage allowed.  For Now TV, I find my ADSL2+ service at just 11.5 Mbps is perfectly adequate in terms of speed.  In fact, I can reliably watch two channels simultaneously with two of my registered devices.  However, since starting to use Now TV my monthly usage has been at least 100 GB.  Streaming video is VERY heavy on data usage.  So I am very glad that my account allows unlimited data downloading!

Therefore, you would be well advised to go for a tariff with unlimited (uncapped) monthly data allowance, but don't worry too much about high speed.  You really only need high speed if you are going to be gaming, or downloading enormous files on a regular basis.  Mind you, if you can get high speed for a while at a special discounted price ... why not!   Smiley Happy

Enjoy!

Wlat