Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Simple Techie Type Question

@Andy @caseyb1993 @4268 @SeeMoreDigital

Guys

I've got a silly tech question that's been bugging me for some time, I hope that somebody can "Jack and Jill" me through the answer.

Here we go. Some of you guys may know that I use my Now TV box to play my albums, for example, I'm playing an old album (the MP3 equivalent) right now that I originally bought back in the 70s.

Anyway, whenever you play YouTube,BBC  iplayer, etc. the light on the front of the box stays on but when playing my albums, after my initial selection and the music starts to play the box light will go out after 10 minutes, the screen will go into screen saver mode using the album art, and the music will continue playing perfectly.

I understand that nothing is wrong because my now defunct white box, just like my black box now, exhibited the same behaviour. I mean right now I'm listening to some sweet (sweet) music but the light on the box is out.  

Please note, I do not want to change anything or make any modifications, I just want to understand why video data keeps the light on while musical data does not (may be something to do with the amount of data being processed - but I'm guessing).

Guys remember, this is NOT a problem, i.e. nothing to solve just me being curious.

Curious Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

You've almost answered your own question. The reason the light goes off is because the screensaver has come on, it's normal behaviour for the light to go out in screensaver mode regardless of what it's doing at the time.

As for why the screensaver comes on I'm guessing you are using Plex? If so its just because that's the way the Plex Classic app was designed to behave - those who have a Roku and install the official Roku Plex app instead have various other options for screensaver behaviour.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

You've almost answered your own question. The reason the light goes off is because the screensaver has come on, it's normal behaviour for the light to go out in screensaver mode regardless of what it's doing at the time.

As for why the screensaver comes on I'm guessing you are using Plex? If so its just because that's the way the Plex Classic app was designed to behave - those who have a Roku and install the official Roku Plex app instead have various other options for screensaver behaviour.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Cheers for that explanation Andy, you've filled in that knowledge gap.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy you solved it,

d18365eced6726722968f6ffb6c43d31

Sorry, I couldn't resist 😄 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Stop it now, you promised! 😄

PS like the Cookie Monster avatar!