cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Prime and Disney+

I can see this has been asked in the past, but things may have changed. Can you get amazon prime video and Disney+ on a NOWTV box? Both available on SkyQ.

My box is a 4500SK. 

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Amazon Prime Video App No (can't see it happening in either the short or medium term).

Disney Plus App is due shortly before the end of Spring 2020 the last i heard.

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps 

Hi RW

Let me say that I too am a Roku user ( I use a Roku 3 box) and totally agree with Schnapps that it's a good bit of kit with way more channel/apps and extra facilities than the Sky/Now TV would ever allow. For example, I play my digital albums from my NAS, via my Roku 3, through my TV to my dedicated music system (can't do that with any Now TV kit).

As for Amazon Prime, I've just finished watching Star Trek: Picard series and plan to start watching Hunt later on.

The Roku streaming devices costs more that the Now TV equivalent ones but I can honestly say that for the extra flexibility and freedom the Rokus' are worth it. I say this because I also started off with a 2015 Now TV black box.

UK Bob

PS. I've just added Disney + to my Roku 3.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

Does the new Disney Plus App (channel) show on your Roku player or is there an option for Disney Plus to be downloaded from the Roku channels Store in the UK.

This will save me going into my Cinema Room to check (don't want to fire up the Projector) saves me time swapping it over onto my Lounge television.

Cheers Bud.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy 

Thanks for the info, as I do buy bits n bobs off amazon anyway and  wanting to watch Picard my self it seems the time to go for it, but I've found quickly its not as easy as it sounds, a new bit of hardware required 🙂 

I'm guessing similar to you, I want Disney + for Star Wars and Marvel etc.

Regards..

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Oh Yeah RW

I love Marvel, coz' I've been reading their comics from before starting primary school, and Star Wars, simply because it was the first modern block buster to take the sci-fi genre seriously, i.e. not like a third rate talentless comedy.

As for tinkering with hardware, I'm addicted, I just can't stop bending my credit card.

Plus RW, if you want any help or advice with your tinkering you can always drop into the forum, most of us here are always adding, subtracting or experimenting with our home kits.

UK Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy 

At the time of buying my TV a few years ago, I opted for a non smart plain freeview 1080p tv (the freeview HD/Smart version was quite a bit dearer at the time, as I had Sky HD then it wasn't a problem) but later added a smart bluray player, (an LG one with little app support as it turns out) but it is dlna certified, so similarly I can stream from my NAS to the bluray player and then either through the tv or into the amp.

Regards..

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Good on ya RW

When I first joined this forum one of the senior members warned about buying a smart TV because after a few years their apps stop working while the main TV is still fully functional. You see, the apps, such as Netflix, BBC iplayer, et al. will eventually have been upgraded so many times they would outgrow the TV's OS and so would no longer work.

I was thinking of getting a smart TV but after reading that it was a lesson I was not keen to learn.

And, believe it or not, back in the day Now TV streaming devices ran DLNA, just like their Roku counterparts, and so could be integrated with other home based kit.  But Now TV did not support or like this and so issued an updated that wiped DLNA  from all it's streaming devices.

I was annoyed as hell when that happened (40 pages of rage appeared in this forum from a multitude of users, some vowing vengeance). I ended up buying a Roku 3, which I've been happy with ever since.

I guess what I am saying is that this forum can be educational, confrontational, friendly, having a laugh and a whole range of (mostly) positive stuff.  We sometimes get the odd troll and disruptive knob head but on the whole we're a pretty friendly bunch. 

Also, the Now TV Team are a pretty friendly bunch as well, when they come to the forum, but in general they don't tell us much.

Time for me to stop rambling, catch you later.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @schnapps  @commanda6 

Morning Guys

As promised, I did say I'd tell you when the Disney + channel/app popped up on my Roku 3.

Well, when I looked last night, at about 11.00pm, some 6 hours after I pressed the option on the Roku website.  Plus, the Disney + channel was offering a 7 day free trial, which I will probably take up once I see their UK scheduling.

Checking out some stuff on YouTube to tinker with.

Catch you later.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy 

Glad its working.  I initially want to watch that Mandalorian its getting some good reviews, also there is various marvel and star wars spin offs coming on Disney.  If you pay for the year in advance, you get 12 months for the price of 10.  Same sort of deal on Amazon Prime too. 

Regards..

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy 

Sorry for late response, been battling with an old pc, trying to bring it upto date a bit, ended up buying a board/chip/ram bundle, then had to get my win10 key re-activated, bit of head scratching but seems to be working now.

I had a look at my LG BD player, even if I click on the netflix app it says not supported in your area now.

I've got an old Panasonic freeviewHD/PVR/BD/DVD machine, that has a LAN port on it, I'd hoped as it can act as a file sharer it would have been DLNA but its not, and any apps it once had are no longer supported, so I don't even connect it to my router any more.  As a dual channel Freeview HD / PVR BD player its a decent machine (slow booting up, but I've noticed that with Panasonic gear)  I bought it as new/Ex Display, discontinued model, as its about the last that has various video-in ports, I had a plan to convert some video tapes to DVD, but when I tried it, my video hadn't been used for 10 years and proceeded to chew the tape, so that idea is on a back burner for now.  All the modern PVR/BD-DVD burners only seem to input via streaming (Lan) no conventional inputs.   Its funny how technology marches on and you don't realise its 10 years since you used a vcr.  When I joined sky I installed my own analogue satellite system, back then you had two scart sockets, one to the tv, one to the vcr.  I've still got a 1m motorised dish on the side of the house, but again its a few years ow sine that was last used, I live next to a park, after 32 years I've lost the battle with the trees, I'd moved my sky dish 3 times till it ended up on a pole, 6ft above the roof hence why I've got NowTV. Yet 'trees block my view' took some explaining to sky when I cancelled my digital satellite service.  

I considered an IPTV service a while back and enquired on the Roku facebook page but their response was extremely slow and no help at all, but they dio appear to be a good piece of kit, I think some of the issues are buying a grey import one and not a uk spec model.  I just wish you could plug a USB stick in to occasionally record something. 

Regards.. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi RW

No worries about responding late, we're all doing projects at home to chase the dreaded "cabin fever" away.

As for old PCs, I still use my old WinXP PC.  I also thought of upgrading it at one time but I couldn't risk losing all the irreplaceable applications I use so I've settled on buying a laptop, even though I don't particularly like them as a form factor.

I must admit, my PC is clunky by today's standard but it does what I want, when I want and, most importantly, I still understand how to use it.

However, yesterday I was upgrading my son's Win10 laptop and that took me most of the morning understanding Win10, getting the Anti-Virus and Tune-up applications to work with his laptop, which took several trips to the makers help site along with Win10 constantly flipping from one screen to another.

I'm also thinking of buying some more kit for my music system, a mini (practically bare-bones) CD/DVD player that can cast to my Roku or Chrome Cast Device but so far I haven't spotted anything. I had a media player that could cast but the makers upgraded it, I think with a bug fix, and killed off that facility, so I'm now looking for a hardware solution.

It's all fun and games.  

Later

UK Bob