cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV set up

Hi, 

I've just moved. The new place has a non smart LG TV with a now TV box attached. I also have broadband. I joined now tv and followed instructions. It worked and I started watching using a ruku app as a remote. It worked... For about an hour. Now I can't get it to work again. Tried reinstalling the app, Switching the now TV box on/off etc but no go. It's working on my laptop, just fine BTW. Help greatly appreciated. Chris

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

At what stage are you stuck or what is currently showing on your television screen when using the NowTV box, (i.e.any error code or message ?).

If you was using your smartphone with the Roku Remote App, did you factory reset the NowTV box by any chance (not recommended if using the Roku App on your smartphone, because ideally you need the original NowTV physical remote controller to setup the box again).

Should you have factory reset your NowTV box, did you by any chance keep your old Router ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi schnapps, thanks heaps for your help! Really appreciated. 
So, now when I try to connect to Now TV, it starts trying to find a connection. When it fails, it just goes to a screen with set-up icon. But of course, I have no control over it as the Ruku remote apps doesn't work either. It's the same problem with that. It tries and fails to find a connection. 
Yes... good question! The old router/ wiki (Sky) is still available for the next few days. I think I might have switched to my new network (Vodafone). 
I don't seem to be able to get it to recognise the Vodafone broadband or switch back to Sky... so NowTv just isn't working for me on this TV. 
As said, no problems with my laptop connect. 
If you're able to help... I'd sooooOOOO greatly appreciate it! 
Cheers,Chris
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just for clarification you have lost or broken the original remote that came with the NowTV box and you are using the Roku Remote App on your smartphone ?

So who is currently your existing ISP is it Sky, or NowTV or Vodafone or somebody else ?

When you first downloaded the Roku App onto your smartphone and it was operating fine with your NowTV box which ISP & Router was you using and have you swapped Routers since ?

Have you factory reset your box since after you first downloaded the Roku App on your smartphone when the App was operating the box ?

Can you temporary run your NowTV Box over Ethernet to your Router ?

To use the Roku Remote App with your NowTV Box the App needs to be using the same SSID network with your NowTV box and if over WiFi needs to be on the same WiFi band i.e 2.4ghz or 5ghz.

At the moment with the information you have provided, i am not sure if you have a network connection problem  between the NowTV box and Router or the Roku App will not communicate over WiFi with your NowTV Box because you have factory reset the NowTV box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi again!
My landlady must've taken the original NowTV remote (I've got another one ordered.) 
Sky is my landlady's broadband, still in operation for a few days. Vodafone is the broadband I have as a replacement. 
When it was originally working, I was using Sky broadband. I think I switched it to my Vodafone broadband cos I'll only have Sky for a few more days. I've tried to switch it back, but as there's no broadband connection now, I can't work out how to do it. (And obviously, I'll eventually need to use my Vodafone broadband. 
I've tried turning the Now TV box on and off, but don't know how to do a reset. 
The ethernet thing is a good idea... but I don't have a cable. I spose I can go out and buy one if needed... and it's likely to work. 
Suggestions greatly GREATLY appreciated!
Cheers,Chris
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Have you asked the Landlady if she can reboot the Router and then see if you can reconnect again to the Network (assuming you are using the Landlords WiFi & Router with your NowTV box) ?

Have you gone into your smartphone settings and switched the WiFi network onto the current Sky Network then see if the Roku App can control the NowTV Box.

Also when you open the Roku App from.memory there is an option to find any NowTV boxes on the WiFi network, and it so does the Roku App wizard find any NowTV devices on the network ?

I wouldn't bother with an Ethernet cable at the moment if you haven't got one lying around and wait for your replacement remote to turn up to see if that resolve it.

Once the replacement remote turns up and you still can't connect to the Property Broadband, then if you use a smartphone with internet data included, then maybe try using your phone has a temporary wifi hotspot with the NowTV box to see if you can temporary getting the box to fire up and run and then reconnect to the WiFi Router in the Property (don't leave it on your phone's internet data).

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks again for all your efforts mate! Really appreciated. 
I've tried most of the stuff on your list... and no go I'm afraid. 
But remote on order and I might pop down to the shops to see if I can get an ethernet cord. 
And if none of that works... well, it aint the end of the world I spose. 
Thanks!
Chris
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi! 

Thanks again for all your help. Very much appreciated. 

Now tv now working! 😊

It was set to my landlady's account, so I've changed it to my account. 

My last issue... 
It's currently working on my landlady's broadband account which is ending soon. I was worried that if I switched to my broadband I'd have the same trouble as before. And I can't find how to change broadband on the now tv screen. 

Assistance greatly appreciated! 

Chris

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, 

It's  working!  Thanks heaps! I changed from my landladys  account to mine. 

The only concern I have now is about  changing my Wi-Fi from my landladys broadband to mine.  Can't see how to change wifi on the now TV pagevand worried I'll have the same trouble as before. 

Help greatly appreciated 

Cheers 

Chris 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Glad you got it sorted ?

Will you have the replacement NowTV remote controller before your new Broadband goes live ?

if so, set up the new Router has normal then switch on your NowTV box, then using the replacement NowTV remote go to Settings on your box, then go to "Network" then select " Set up Connection " then select Wireless, then see if the NowTV box sees your new Router Network SSID name.

Once you have selected the SSID network name that your new Router is using you should be prompted to enter a WiFI password (use the password given for your New Router) then hopefully the box will connect to your New Router (Job Done).

Or if you are going to use an Ethernet cable between the NowTV box and Router, select Wired in the Network Settings of the NowTV box and it should hopefully automatically pick up your Router and connect to the internet from your new Router and ISP.

if you are using the Roku App on your smartphone it's not straight forward (it can be done if you still have access to your Landlords Router) but ideally you should setup the box on your new internet with the NowTV replacement physical remote controller (assuming you have ordered the correct version of the NowTV remote).