cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

NOW TV to launch most advanced box yet

"Online TV streaming service, NOW TV, is to launch its most advanced TV box later this year. The brand new NOW TV Smart Box will bring together NOW TV’s wide range of pay TV content and over 60 live free-to-air channels.

Additionally customers with a NOW TV Box will see new a brand new interface (UI) roll out to their TVs from February. The new-look UI will include a number of great new features including a content-rich homepage offering editorial recommendations of what to watch across catch up TV apps and pay TV content from NOW TV. A new ‘Best of Catch Up’ section, curated by content partners, will also arrive showcasing all the best shows our customers may have missed in one place.

Gidon Katz, Director of NOW TV said: “The launch of our new homepage on the NOW TV Box will make it easier than ever for our customers to quickly find and watch their favourite shows. And when the new NOW TV Smart Box arrives later this year, it will be the perfect one-stop box to get a contract-free, flexible way of watching the best of pay TV and free-to-air content all in one place.”

NOW TV worked with Silicon Valley based Roku Inc. to develop the new NOW TV Smart Box which will sit alongside the existing NOW TV Box, with pricing details and further information to be made available later in the year."

340 REPLIES 340
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Well one of the rumours is that the NOW TV Smart Box will have a handy little built in pop up compartment to store the remote when not in use, thus saving you from losing it again. How do  engineers think up these things?

image.gif

I do enjoy these threads where we can all speculate on what we'd like to see in the upcoming new product, not sure if you were around for the black NOW TV box build-up but it's always fun reading what everyone would like to see ... 

C'mon people, get your wishlists in, all contributions welcome! 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

You know, my remotes would never get lost if they looked like this:-

Old Mobile Phone..jpg

OK, it's an old "brick" mobile but it is unloseable Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy 

UK Bob

PS.  I think the new Now TV box facilities are pretty much set in stone already.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Dear Forum Members

I am sure that no one has missed the fact that the (ultra) new Now TV box is based on the Roku 4, and that box does not sport an aerial socket.

Your making the assumtion that because the casing looks similar and that Roku are involved that it's "based on the Roku 4".

Until we see any tech specs I wouldn't get any hopes up. The black NOW TV box was "based on the Roku 3" and ended up without several features.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

I don't believe that both Now TV and Roku are going to, in effect, reinvent the wheel for this new Now TV box, granted there will be some firmware changes but the box is going to be made in the same factory, using the same design, materials and tools used to make the Roku 4, any other scenario would not make any kind of financial sense. 

Anyway, regardless of what we think only time will really tell.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy dropping wifi direct is more than a firmware issue, and as they are promising access to Free-to-Air channels on the new box, that suggests you'll need an aerial to receive them.

I'd expect it to be more like a Freeview Play/YouView/EE TV box with additional IPTV features. Roku already have an EPG feature within their TV OS.

I also doubt it'll have 4K as other than the odd YouTube video nothing needs it.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@ukbobboy dropping wifi direct is more than a firmware issue, and as they are promising access to Free-to-Air channels on the new box, that suggests you'll need an aerial to receive them.

I'd expect it to be more like a Freeview Play/YouView/EE TV box with additional IPTV features. Roku already have an EPG feature within their TV OS.

I also doubt it'll have 4K as other than the odd YouTube video nothing needs it.

I can't see NowTv fitting a TV type tuner or over the air aerial input socket to this new proposed NowTv third generation box.

Might be wrong, but I reckon they will have the TV Player App similar to the android version you can utilize on the Amazon Fire TV and the android OS platform.

See more info here about TV Player channels you can watch

http://tvplayer.com/channels/

Would love to be involved has a beta tester for this new NowTV hardware product, which looks very exciting with loads of potential.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps the Roku press release pretty much says it's normal TV alongside IP so it'll have to be Freeview. As for TV Player already have that on my NOW TV box Smiley Wink

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Seeing as roku is allrady built in to FTA US HDTVs, taking the FTA components that they used for that and putting it as a standalone box is a good way to recycle left over components. allready used to make these FTA set up...

Instead of needing a UK LGTV with roku built in a stand alone version better suits UK market... That are no longer going to upgrade the HDTV but buy new boxes instead... 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@schnapps the Roku press release pretty much says it's normal TV alongside IP so it'll have to be Freeview. As for TV Player already have that on my NOW TV box Smiley Wink

@Anonymous User

You might be possibly right about the normal TV on the new NowTV box, it was a wild guess on my part.

No TV Player app in the App Store on my NowTV set top box ?

Is this TV Player app coming soon to the NowTV box or currently available on the Roku boxes ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps this is TV Player as hacked together by me and sideloaded on my box 😉