cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

CW Four-way Crossover

Dear Forum Members

I am sad, yes sad, because my favourite shows have either ended or coming to the end of their current run and I've got nothing to look forward to until September/October.

However, I am looking forward to CW's promised four-way, four-day (Supergirl/Flash/Arrow/Legends of Tomorrow) crossover.

I am also looking forward to Netflix Luke Cage (aka Hero for Hire) in late September.

And next year, when SyFy releases Krypton, I sincerely hope they can convey the constant turmoil the planet was in, because of the various and continuous wars, and show the differences, both physical and psychological, between Humans and Kryptonians.

UK Bob

63 REPLIES 63
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I would like to see us get The Omen series "Damien".

It hasn't been announced if/when we are going to get it on our side of the pond. 😞

I read today that it has been cancelled after only one season. It makes me wonder why. Smiley Indifferent

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

You know, apart from the Supernatural series, shows dealing with the occult have not fared too well in the US and so it's not surprising that "Damien" has only lasted one season, just like CW's Constantine.

I'm guessing here but I feel that US audiences, and some people like me, are a little bit squeamish when it comes to watching occult shows and so tend to shy away from them.

BTW, my son loves Supernatural and has all the released DVDs, including the anime ones.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Thanks for clearing that up. 🙂
I've only seen probably the first two seasons of Supernatural.
I heard Constantine had low ratings so it got the chop.

What superhero would you like to see get their own (good) show?? 🙂

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

You asked a couple of questions:

1) I heard Constantine had low ratings so it got the chop.

A) More than likely, as I believe Americans, on the whole, do not go for occult shows.

2) What superhero would you like to see get their own (good) show?

A) That is difficult to answer, I was trying to think of a local hero, like Daredevil or Jessica Jones, but such heroes are better portrayed in adult orientated stories.

Then I thought of the big guns like Iron Man and Thor but again to do their story justice each episode would be very expensive to make.

So my choice would be Spider-Man, he is local, has interesting villains, has a great (everyman) back story and above all, with some creative thinking, should cost no more than the Flash does to make. 

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

I am still interested to see if Ghost Rider will become a series. Minus Nic Cage of course.

G.R is one of the coolest looking 'heroes' created, I wonder how they would pull it off.

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

You know, Ghost Rider was never that popular a comic but I do remember reading an encounter he had with Punisher.

OK, for GR to be done right it will have to be produced by Netflix, I don't believe there's another TV company out there with the chops to do Ghost Rider properly.  And by properly I mean that his foes will have to be more than the police can handle but not too far into the occult but, like Daredevil, should have lots of action. GR should also be mysterious and do his thing on the down low, out of the public's view and consciousness.

Anyway, I got a question for you:

As you know, SyFy is making a pilot, and probably a series as well, about Krypton, focusing on Superman's grandad. Do you think they will use Krypton's rich back story as a basis for the new series or invent a new story?

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Now that is a tough question. Smiley Surprised

I would like them to use Krypton's back story but if they did this, would it be obvious to any future plot to the series and just seem unoriginal? For me, keeping shows original to the source material isn't very brave but it really depends on how it is written. Just because I say it isn't brave doesn't mean it can't be good. 🙂

If it doesn't use the story as a basis, then viewers would 'probably' complain that it is 'nothing to do with Krypton' and just backlash it because of that.

Either way, it'll be a bold move.

However, as I am not too familiar with Krypton's story, it is hard for me to say whether this show should or shouldn't use it as a guide.

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

Let me say this, whenever new film or program writers, writing for an established comic book superhero, ignore that heroes established back story, in effect creating a new story, that new movie or show tends to fail.

In fact, I can't think of a single film or show that has been successful when the writers have gone off and done their own thing, instead of borrowing material from the origin story.  You know, super hero origins have been written and refined over the last 60 plus years and for someone to think they can write something better within a few weeks is just nonsense.

Therefore, I believe SyFy's Krypton runs a strong risk of failing if it tries to write it's own back story, not because fan's will instinctively hate it (they will) but because whenever non-comic book writers try to write their own comic book origins it comes out second rate.

So I hope that SyFy instead of seeing Krypton's comic book origin story as a limitation it should see it as an opportunity to expand the story and take it to the next level.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@ukbobboy Whichever way they choose to go, it will be an interesting watch. 🙂
We probably have a while to wait yet to see what happens.