cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BicBasher
Elite

TV Player Plus

TV Player have launched their Plus premium service, which is currently in Beta.

For £4.99 (Free trial for 14 days), you get a mix of free and 25 subscription channels.

Pay tv channels are:

Lifetime

Watch

TLC

Gold (already on NOW TV)

Alibi

Sony Entertainment Television

Sony Movie Channel

History

Discovery (on Now TV)

ID - Investigation Discovery

Discovery Turbo

Animal Planet

H2

CI

Good Food

Home

Eden

National Geographic Channel

British Eurosport

British Eurosport 2

Cartoon Network

Boomerang

Cartoonito

Baby TV

TV Player Plus will be on PC, iOS, Android, Amazon Fire and coming soon to Samsung Smart TV's and connected Freeview.  (The latter won't have the UKTV owned channels).

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
42 REPLIES 42
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've actually been monitoring the progress of all the streaming services offered by the Freeview television platform since they started popping up and disappearing!

The 'TVPlayer' streaming service appears on channel 241 and currently offers access to the following 19 'free' channels: -

Music: AKA, Capital TV, Clubland, Heart, Now Music, Planet Pop

Special Interest: Colors, Rishtey, Sony Sab, Revelation, UCB TV

Lifestyle: Fashion

News: France 24, NHK World, Euro News

Shopping: QVC, QVC Beauty, QVC Style, QVC Extra

The 'VisionTV' streaming service appears on channel 244 and currently offers access to the following 15 'free' channels : -

CCTV News, BON TV, France 24, TV/C News, Ben, Sports Tonight, Hellenic TV 1, GOD, Peace TV (English), Peace TV (Urdu), Islam Channel, Iqra TV, Iqra TV Bangla, British Muslim TV, Believe TV  

The 'VuTV' streaming service appears on channel 238 and currently offers access to the following 13 'premium' channels for £6.99 per month: -

Lifetime, Comedy Central, MTV, CNN, History, History 2, Ci, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, Nickelodeon, Nicktoons, NickJr. and Cartoonito.

When you compare the 13 premium streaming services offered by VuTV at £6.99 per month against the 25 premium streaming services offered by TVPlayer at £4.99 per month it's a 'no brainer' Smiley Wink

Cheers all

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital I think tv player could be a real competitor to now tv as it is offering far more channels and on demand content at a lower price 

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

well, if you compare TV player plus (TPP) to nowTV. While TPP offers more channels. Overall, they are typically what would be regarded as the cheaper pay channels where as nowTV gives you what would be regarded as the expensive pay TV channels. This includes Fox UK and all of the sky channels, Disney, Nick, Nick Jr, gold MTV 

In terms of on demand/catch up content now TV fares far better than TPP and the content is in 720p HD. Everything on TPP is SD. Catch up is available for 30 days on average, and now TV whereas on TPP. It's just seven days

You don't get boxset content on TPP.

I think TV player could end up being a good option, but it in public beta at the moment, so there's no telling where it could end up. The TPP service is only accessible on a PC at the moment. With more work. I think it has the potential to become a competitor of nowTV, but in its current state. I don't think it is. When I tried to use TPP last night. It wasn't working properly and I couldn't stream any of the channels. But it was working this morning.

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

TVPlayer Plus states the £4.99 is a discounted beta price valid for as long as you stay subscribed. Anyone know what the full price might be? Eurosport is £6.99 a month with no contract through their Eurosport Player, so at the moment TPP is cheaper if there happened to be the random one sporting event that I might consider. (The last time I used Eurosport Player was for the Womens Football World Cup in 2011, and then you could have the a cheaper price on a rolling subscription, but cancel it straight away, a loophole they've now closed).

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

@SeeMoreDigital I think tv player could be a real competitor to now tv as it is offering far more channels and on demand content at a lower price 

I guess it all depends on what 'genre' your viewing preferences are. Given that 'TVPlayer Plus' has included more 'Entertainment' channels (such as, Alibi, Sony Entertainment and Watch) a 'Movie' channel and far more 'Documentary' channels, I agree with you, NOW TV (Sky) should take notice!

As we know, the 'NOW TV - Entertainment' service currently offers access to the following 13 'premium' channels: -

Entertainment: Comedy Central, Fox, Gold, ITV Encore, Sky 1, Sky Atlantic, Sky Living

Movies: None (They're available via a separate NOW TV service)
Music: MTV (Oh dear)
Sports: None (They're available via a separate NOW TV service)
Lifestyle: None
Documentaries: Discovery, Sky Arts
Childrens:  Disney, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr.

By comparison, the 'TVPlayer Plus' service currently offers access to the following 25 'premium' channels: -

Entertainment: Alibi, Gold, Sony Entertainment Television (SET), Watch
Movies: Sony Movie Channel
Music: None
Sports: British Eurosport, British Eurosport 2
Lifestyle: Good Food, Home, Lifetime, TLC
Documentaries: Animal Planet, CI, History, Discovery, Discovery Turbo, ID (Investigation Discovery), Eden, H2, National Geographic Channel, Nat Geo Wild
Childrens: Baby TV, Baby TV, Cartoon Network, Cartoonito

With regard to NOW TV, personally I have no interest in watching any of the 'childrens' channels and the so-called 'music' channel MTV. And I have very little interest in watching 'Entertainment' channels such as Comedy Central and Gold. I'd rather they were replaced by say, Alibi, SyFy, Universal and Watch.

Sufficed to say if NOW TV added the aforementioned 'Entertainment' channels (despite its foilbles) I would be waiving my Virgin media box good-bye tomorrow Smiley Wink

Cheers

Legend 5
Legend 5

I have the free version already.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5

Bottom line is for under £12 a month with these two combined you get a good range of channels. Next nearest price wise I can see for same channels is Sky ordinary bundle.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5

Signed up for a trial, have got it casting via Chromecast to my TV. Not brilliant photo or sound but I think that is down as much to my antique laptop (over 5 years old). It may work better when I get round to upgrading my laptop. It works slightly better on catchup ( H2) to live TV ( Watch).
BicBasher
Elite

@4268 wrote:
Signed up for a trial, have got it casting via Chromecast to my TV. Not brilliant photo or sound but I think that is down as much to my antique laptop (over 5 years old). It may work better when I get round to upgrading my laptop. It works slightly better on catchup ( H2) to live TV ( Watch).

Are you casting from Chrome?   Only issue I find when casting from the browser is that the picture can 'slow down' when I've tried using other players.     However, I must try with my Chromecast.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@BicBasher yes it was from Chrome browser on laptop to Chromecast. Had sound and picture. Hopefully the channels will all be available on Amazon TV.