cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not on unlimited broadband

Is Now Tv suitable for only those who have unlimited broadband?

I write as someone who has a monthly broadband allowance of 40gb.

Can I dip in and out or does Now Tv continue to stream once activated?

BJM

 

31 Replies
Anonymous User
Not applicable

It only streams content when you watching so you will only use allowance while watching. And of course while your searching for content to watch.
BicBasher
Elite

Would you consider upgrading your broadband to Unlimited?   There are some great deals from the ISP's at the moment which would allow you to enjoy NOW TV and other catch-up services without the worry of going over 40GB.

 

 

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5


@BicBasher wrote:

Would you consider upgrading your broadband to Unlimited?   There are some great deals from the ISP's at the moment which would allow you to enjoy NOW TV and other catch-up services without the worry of going over 40GB.

 

 


Hi @Anonymous User

Be careful though not all the deals around are for unlimited broadband. The adverts you see/hear on TV and radio for BT often have ridiculously low data limits attached to them.

If you want to find good unlimited broadband deals go direct to the websites for the ISPs and look for deals that specifically say "unlimited" Smiley Wink


I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the comments. They have cleared up something for me.  My BT broadband usage went over its max  20 gb max, after some checks I discovered usage was 11gb on 5th Sept and 7 gb on the 6th....watching Eng v Ireland and the golf over the two days on a one day pass. Didnt realise the usage would be that high. The info doesnt make it clear, would have opted for unlimited if I had known.

 

NOW TV ----- make it clear.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User it'll be the golf what did it. Watching an 80/90 minute match isn't too much data, but leaving it on all day for golf or cricket really adds up,

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thnx. I understand that now, but usage is alarming using 24 hrs pass.  Thanks for your comments

4268
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User, Sky are offering unlimited standard broadband for free with a landline. Currently £16.40.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
ukbobboy
Legend

Dear Forum Members

 

Just a couple of observations/personal thoughts:-

 

1) I've always thought that signing an ISP contract that has a monthly usage cap was self defeating because when accidentally going over the cap it can be financially very painful and I believe that most of us have no idea how many GBs per month we use, especially when we have family members with their smart phones, laptops, etc. using the Internet as well.

 

2) When looking for a new ISP, rather than checking adverts, it makes more sense to check out the latest WHICH? report.  This will tell you what the ISPs are actually up to, their performance, is their customer service up to par, etc. not just what they say in their glossy adverts.  

 

As said, these are just my thoughts.

 

 

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

 

Can't comment on other ISPs but mine does allow me to click on usage so I know what I use daily/monthly.

 

With just 2 in house ( one ancient and one even more ancient) we use around 200Gb/month - I switched to unlimited adsl when I first bought Roku LT in Dec 2012

 

Fortunately, at 8Mb, our adsl connection is fast enough to cope with all our demand requirements so not tempted by fibre which is available as BT cabinet ( not directly with them) is  about 300 metres away.

 

 

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi TN

 

I am, like you, an ancient Internet user, I have to use my baldness to hide my grey hairs Smiley Very Happy, but I reckon that I alone easily use more than 20GB per month.  

 

However, if you are a modest Internet user then a capped package is right for you.

 

 

 

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I don't go for capped broadband packages mainly because I like downloading games to my Xbox One rather than using physical discs. My latest game, Forza 6, was about a 45GB download! 

 

Tom

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I'm a Virgin Media cable broadband and Virgin HD Box user (with basic HD channels).  I'm supposed to receive an 'unlimited' 50mbps connection (but it's more like 20mbps).

 

Anyway,  from what I understand when we use the Virgin HD Box to watch their catch-up services, this data usage is not added to our broadband data usage. So I have no idea how much data we actually use Smiley Surprised

Anonymous User
Not applicable

TalkTalk show that I use around 150-200GB a month (unlimited 40Gbps fibre), although the kids are known for leaving YouTube on autoplay with the NOW TV box with the TV turned off.

Fortunately I don't take broadband from my employer, their excess usage is £2.25+vat per GB.

BicBasher
Elite

I'm a TalkTalk customer, this is despite the tons of negative publicity the company gets in reviews and from customer feedback in social media.

 

Since I've been a customer, I've not had my speed capped during peak times with a steady 17mbps connection throughout and reguarly use around 250-300GB per month without being being told off or charged an additonal fee.

 

Capped broadband has it's place, such as BT's broadband package for those on low income benefits, but for the majority of people unlimited broadband should be standard.

 

 

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
BicBasher
Elite


@commanda6 wrote:

@BicBasher wrote:

Would you consider upgrading your broadband to Unlimited?   There are some great deals from the ISP's at the moment which would allow you to enjoy NOW TV and other catch-up services without the worry of going over 40GB.

 

 


Hi @Anonymous User

Be careful though not all the deals around are for unlimited broadband. The adverts you see/hear on TV and radio for BT often have ridiculously low data limits attached to them.

If you want to find good unlimited broadband deals go direct to the websites for the ISPs and look for deals that specifically say "unlimited" Smiley Wink



The free fibre broadband offer from Sky will catch people out, that has a 25GB limit, while unlimited is for £10 plus line rental.

 

TalkTalk are offering free unlimited ADSL2+ broadband for 18 months (Fibre is a £10 add on), plus £17.70 line rental per month as one example.    BT's is £13pm + £17.99 line rental, but you get the BT Sport channels thrown in too. (Not avaliable via Now TV!)

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5


@BicBasher wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@BicBasher wrote:

Would you consider upgrading your broadband to Unlimited?   There are some great deals from the ISP's at the moment which would allow you to enjoy NOW TV and other catch-up services without the worry of going over 40GB.

 

 


Hi @Anonymous User

Be careful though not all the deals around are for unlimited broadband. The adverts you see/hear on TV and radio for BT often have ridiculously low data limits attached to them.

If you want to find good unlimited broadband deals go direct to the websites for the ISPs and look for deals that specifically say "unlimited" Smiley Wink



The free fibre broadband offer from Sky will catch people out, that has a 25GB limit, while unlimited is for £10 plus line rental.

 

TalkTalk are offering free unlimited ADSL2+ broadband for 18 months (Fibre is a £10 add on), plus £17.70 line rental per month as one example.    BT's is £13pm + £17.99 line rental, but you get the BT Sport channels thrown in too. (Not avaliable via Now TV!)


 

Hi @BicBasher

 

Thanks Smiley Happy I forgot about the sky one. What you have said above does show that  it's really important to get your deals by going to the websites of the ISPs rather than signing up to the office you see/hear on TV and radio. Smiley Happy

 

Anyone that uses streaming services should really have unlimited broadband

 

 


I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
BicBasher
Elite


@commanda6 wrote:

@BicBasher wrote:

@commanda6 wrote:

@BicBasher wrote:

Would you consider upgrading your broadband to Unlimited?   There are some great deals from the ISP's at the moment which would allow you to enjoy NOW TV and other catch-up services without the worry of going over 40GB.

 

 


Hi @Anonymous User

Be careful though not all the deals around are for unlimited broadband. The adverts you see/hear on TV and radio for BT often have ridiculously low data limits attached to them.

If you want to find good unlimited broadband deals go direct to the websites for the ISPs and look for deals that specifically say "unlimited" Smiley Wink



The free fibre broadband offer from Sky will catch people out, that has a 25GB limit, while unlimited is for £10 plus line rental.

 

TalkTalk are offering free unlimited ADSL2+ broadband for 18 months (Fibre is a £10 add on), plus £17.70 line rental per month as one example.    BT's is £13pm + £17.99 line rental, but you get the BT Sport channels thrown in too. (Not avaliable via Now TV!)


 

Hi @BicBasher

 

Thanks Smiley Happy I forgot about the sky one. What you have said above does show that  it's really important to get your deals by going to the websites of the ISPs rather than signing up to the office you see/hear on TV and radio. Smiley Happy

 

Anyone that uses streaming services should really have unlimited broadband

 

 


Agreed @commanda6, I'd always sign up using the ISP site direct.    When I signed up for TalkTalk last year online, they waved the £50 connection charge for a new line install by using that method.   Do it on the phone or via the sales agents and they add that charge.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User

 

Welcome to forums

 

I have unlimited adsl ( don't need fibre) and normally use about 200Gb per month with various demand services.

 

Going over your monthly limit can prove very expensive,

 

Obviously it depends on which ISP you use but, as had been said, there are good deals to be had.

4268
Legend 5
Legend 5

Any one tried a power line adapter? I was looking up how to boost broadband, various sites suggested using one. Guy in Maplin reckons really improves broadband strength.
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@4268 I do believe that @commanda6 uses one...

 

Tom