cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

New stick already signed in

Hi,

So I bought a brand new NowTV stick yesterday from the supermarket with 1 month cinema pass, I plugged in it in, all working okay, however, I realised that it was letting me access everything...before I had even signed in. When i went to the account details there was an account already signed in "[email removed]". It also said "continue watching" and there was a small number of films that I definitely haven't watched on other devices.

Is this some trial account? There was no voucher for the cinema pass either. However the instructions suggested that to access the cinema pass I needed to "follow the on screen instructions"...of which there wasn't any as it seemed to be set up already.

Or quite simply have I got a box that some cheeky ....has already taken the voucher and set it up themselves...before returning it (store employee no doubt!?) - not sure I am going to have an easy time proving this as it only hit me when I signed in as myself that something was not right.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks all - yes just checked my account on Now Tv Website - no luck there with a voucher so I think somebody has redeemed the voucher and returned the stick. It all looked brand new too. very strange.

Thanks for all your help though.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Tom

You know, the only way you're going to get your rights, under UK consumer law, is to go back to the shop where you bought this second hand device, when you thought you were purchasing new, and see the manager.  

If they try to fob you off, as some will do, then make a nuisance of yourself and shout out that they are selling second hand goods as new. No manager will want a disgruntled customer shouting that he's been ripped off in the middle of his shop full of customers.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. At least i'm not alone thinking this has been used. I wasn't so sure, but I can't find online that this is a common occurence surprsingly. I've given them a call to see how they respond before I drive back there.

Thanks again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

When you go into the NowTV App on your stick and scroll down to the left hand side of the screen under My Account, does it show in the My Account section on the stick your email address or nowtv username ?

If so, i would go to the nowtv website, sign in with your nowtv account details, then under My Account > Passes & Vouchers is there a message towards the top of the screen page saying " Voucher waiting for you" with a link to redeem the voucher ?

Should the email address on the NowTV App under the My Account section on the stick is not yours, then there is always the chance that you have recieved a used customer returned nowtv stick from the retailer.

Where you will need to return the stick back to the retailer for a replacement (suggest factory reset the stick before returning it).

Another question, when you setup the stick was there a 6 digit code shown on your TV screen and was you asked on screen to go to the nowtv.com/tv web page to activate the stick ?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Just had another read of your first post and it does sound that you was given a customer returned nowtv stick from the supermarket that you purchased it from.

You could have a word with nowtv live chat about it (see link below) where they may be able to assist your further or they may refer you back to the supermarket that you purchased the stick from under the Consumer Rights Act, where you should be entitled to a replacement or a full refund.

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks all - yes just checked my account on Now Tv Website - no luck there with a voucher so I think somebody has redeemed the voucher and returned the stick. It all looked brand new too. very strange.

Thanks for all your help though.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I have the same issue with a stick I bought yesterday from Morrisons in Burntwood, Staffs.

Trying to sort it on line but chat dropped out after telling me my stick serial number doesn't exist!