cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

EAC3 (DolbyD+) tuner channels no sound

Hello,

I used my NOW TV Smart for French DVB-T (TNT similar to Freeview) but I have no sound...

The issue occurs only with French channels (audio eac3) but it works find with others channels Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany.

My firmware version is ver. 7.5.3 build 4057-16.

When I go to the secret Tuner menu Home x 4, Up, Right,Down,Up,Left,Right with default audio settings (Auto), Audio shows 0.

When I go to this menu but with Audio set to DolbyD+, I can see audio is recognized (differents Audio stream found) but still no sound.

I think it's because my TV can't decode it this codec directly and as consequences the others APP  has no sound too.

Strangely, I remember it was working with a previous NOW TV Smart (that do not work anymore now due to a short circuit.... :/).

Do someone experienced the same issue? Is there a fix?

Thanks for your help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

As Dolby Digital Plus (aka: E-AC-3, EC-3, DD+) audio is not broadcast within the UK, this would suggest that support for decoding it was not provided in the NOW TV 'smart' box...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

Unless there are some exceptional atmospheric circumstances, the only way it's possible to reliably receive DVB-T (terrestrial) television signals is from within their country of origin (ie: the actual country that they're broadcast in).

Sufficed to say, if you're not based within the UK and are not using the NOW TV 'smart' box for the purpose it's been designed for, nobody here on the NOW TV forum is able or permitted to help you!

Regards to you 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi SeeMoreDigital,

Thanks for your reply.

I was in UK before with a subscription.

On Now TV advertising (www.nowtv.com/tv-smart-box), it says: 

• Enjoy the best of free to air and pay TV channels without a contract

So you think my request is not legit or I missed something? 

My free to air audio codec is A/52 B Audio (aka E-AC3).

From the other post I understood surround is not support, right ? But the Now TV Smart box should at least have the capability to decode it, isn't it?

Best rgds 

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

As Dolby Digital Plus (aka: E-AC-3, EC-3, DD+) audio is not broadcast within the UK, this would suggest that support for decoding it was not provided in the NOW TV 'smart' box...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well I understand your position but in Now TV box audio menu it has been written as compatible so it should be too for the tuner.

My main concern is that I succed to get this working previously with one box (that is defect now) and I don't understand how... (maybe an oldest firmware release....)

I saw somewhere that UK freeview could upgrade during the year and let's say they will broadcast Dolby Digital +,  maybe it could unlock this feature... hope brings life 🙂

Rgds

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Well... The same audio format selection options also appear in the NOW TV 'black' box. And that device doesn't even offer a DVB tuner 😉

Sufficed to say, some TV's support DD+ decoding from externally connected devices, some don't. If your really want to know if the 'smart' box is capable of passing a 'native' DD+ bitstream via HDMI, I suggest you try connecting the 'smart' box directly to your 'surround sound' amplifier 😉

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Topic is closed but only for system knowledge, I did it already and it works ! 🙂 (by forcing Audio settings to DD+)

But then, for the others apps that don't use DD+ has no/weird sound 😛