cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ariel socket

Hi I have a nowtv smart box, I’m trying to get freeview, but am being told I need a Ariel,which I have, but there is no Ariel socket on the box,Am I missing something here.? 

10 REPLIES 10
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you have the new nowtv 4K smart box with the pink nowtv logo on the top of the box, then this box doesn't support Freeview Smiley Sad

The only nowtv branded device in the nowtv product range that uses Freeview with a TV aerial connected in the rear of the box is the old discontinued nowtv Freeview smart box shown in the photo below.Smart_Box_main.png

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, thank you, for your reply. Purchased from curry’s & the ###### of a salesperson told me it did, as I purcifectly asked that questions it the correct one for freeview. Lol

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Smurf

You know, it's been fun and games in this forum about the dumb advice given by Curry's "Technical Staff" to unsuspecting customers, including advising people to buy things that don't exist.

Believe me when I say that Curry's Technical advice is a legendary  joke Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy, i.e. say anything to make a sale.

Sorry you ended up a victim but you would be well within your rights to take the item back for a refund.  However, it's going to be difficult proving that you based your purchase on their naff advice.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Have spoken to curry’s about said problem, they are exchanging for correct one tomorrow, thanks for your helps guys, much appreciated. Curry’s are divs lol

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Suprised Currys still have stock of the discontinued nowtv smart Freeview boxes. 

Please be aware that the remote controller on the NowTV smart Freeview box, doesn't have the voice search feature, TV standby button, TV volume adjust buttons and the direct access keys are only NowTV and Sky Store.

The NowTV passes in the Freeview smart box would be bundled differently, where usually there is only either one entertainment or cinema pass included in the box. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

In your opinion, is it worth exchanging, as was only getting one with freeview for the kids ? 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps

Hey Smurf

You know, with the Black Friday sales now on, you should get the Freeview Now TV box for the kids and a Now TV stick for yourself (and the missus).

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Depends if you need the Freeview HD & SD live TV channels, where most televisions have their own inbuilt TV tuner to watch Freeview TV. 

The Freeview smart box does have the 30 min live pause and rewind feature which is sometimes useful such has toilet breaks or making a cup of tea when watching the live Freeview channels.

When I first heard about the new nowtv 4K Smart box I was extremely disappointed to learn that nowtv had dropped the Freeview side of things (big mistake if you ask me for the outlet costs involved to include in the box even if they had to make the price slightly higher to buy) Smiley Sad

I own both these nowtv boxes and overall the 4K Smart box IMO is a better box with other features not on the Freeview box that I like using.

So the big question you need to ask yourself is the Freeview TV channels on the box important to your kids or could they just use the Freeview channels on their television set? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

I always tend to do my research, look at specifications and read customers reviews on the Internet before buying any electronic products Smiley Wink