cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Frequent Disconnections on certain devices

Hi there,

My Now TV Combo went live today and things have generally been smooth. 

Having said that, I've noticed that my TV (Sony - Android TV) and the Now TV Smart  box keep disconnecting - they keep popping up messages about losing internet connectivity. I know that our internet was working fine because the last 6-8 times this happened; I was on a face time call. 

I've did not have any such problems with the TV / Now TV Box until I plugged in the Now TV Router in today. With regard to the location of things; the Now TV Hub and Airport Extreme are kept just behing the TV. 

Things I've tried

1) Connecting wirelessly to the Now TV router

2) Connecting wirelessly to the Airport Extreme (this connects via ethernet into the Now TV router)

3) Connecting to the Now TV router via ethernet

Each of these 3 modes results in similar number of disconnects. 

• Any thoughts on how I can fix this?
  • Could this be related to DHCP leases being renewed too frequently?
    In all the 3 scenarios mentioned above, the now tv router handles DHCP .
  • Any idea if the Now TV router is slipping into some sort of low power mode that kicks certain devices out?

cheers

Ni

1 REPLY 1
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

The location of your router behind the TV isn't a great position for wifi performance, it should really be out in the open in as central a position as you can realistically get given the master socket/extension socket location, and devices you are connecting to should be at least a few feet away.

I would imagine it's not a great idea to have both the Airport Extreme and NOW TV router next to each other both transmitting a different wifi network (if you are using the Airport to extend the wifi then it really needs to be on a different floor or different part of the house to effectively extend the network). 

Alternately the NOW TV Hub (which is based on the Sky router) is well known for not having great wifi range and performance, so you could turn off the wif on the NOW TV Hub and just use the Airport for the wifi network, which would be a more common use for the Airport (be aware if you turn off the wifi on the NOW TV Hub you'll then need to connect via Ethernet to a laptop or desktop to administer and make changes to the Hub again so don't do this if you aren't able to connect a computer via Ethernet to it). 

Whilst you note the connection itself doesn't appear to be dropping it wouldn't be unusual to have occasional drops for the first few days after having your broadband connected, while NOW TV tweak the connection at their end. If this is happening a lot you might want to have a word with the Combo Helpline so they can check things at their end - it's a free call for Combo users and you can find the number on your My Account>My Passes page

http://account.nowtv.com/passes