cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mya
Mentor

Payments that aren’t mine

Hi, I cannot find any answers online and the only option I can think of is cancelling my membership and starting it again. 

Someone has taken my log in details and are paying for memberships out of my account and I need it to stop. Are there any other options for me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
RoyB
Legend

@Mya 

Yes, you set a Payment PIN above, in My Account/Manage Account/Account Summary/My Details and Settings/Settings and PINs.

Then you change your password. It’s possible that whoever is using your account doesn’t actually know your password, but don’t take the risk that someone does, change it anyway.

Then, under Devices in My Account, Sign Out of all devices.

This will blow all users off - both authorised ones as well as unauthorised ones, alas, but it’s best to be sure - and you will need to log on again to your authorised devices with your new password.

If the unauthorised use is an unauthorised device, they won’t be able to log back on, as they won’t know the new password.

But if they are a ‘mole’ on one of your reauthorised devices - a family member, housemate, four-year-old who has been given the remote to play with - they won’t be able to buy any memberships, as they don’t know your Payment PIN. Something the bill payer should keep very close to their chest.

Finally, cancel the memberships that have been illegally purchased. You might also want to talk to Now over Live Chat, explain you have been the victim of fraud, and see it they will reimburse you. They might well do that….

You can contact Now via Live Chat from this link:-

Chat online

Avoid ‘Get Help Quickly’ on this screen. This leads to the Nowbot, an AI bot that might well assist you in navigating the Help; but as you need to talk to Live Chat, you have already gone beyond that, and all the Nowbot can bring you is frustration.

So how did all this happen? There are several ways Now access can ‘leak’ - disposing of a TV, Stick, or other device with a persistent Now logon on it, without Factory Resetting it first, shoulder surfing, etc., apart from more egregious frauds. But a well-guarded Payment PIN is like a padlock on your purse, at least as far as Now goes, for the foreseeable future.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RoyB
Legend

@Mya 

Yes, you set a Payment PIN above, in My Account/Manage Account/Account Summary/My Details and Settings/Settings and PINs.

Then you change your password. It’s possible that whoever is using your account doesn’t actually know your password, but don’t take the risk that someone does, change it anyway.

Then, under Devices in My Account, Sign Out of all devices.

This will blow all users off - both authorised ones as well as unauthorised ones, alas, but it’s best to be sure - and you will need to log on again to your authorised devices with your new password.

If the unauthorised use is an unauthorised device, they won’t be able to log back on, as they won’t know the new password.

But if they are a ‘mole’ on one of your reauthorised devices - a family member, housemate, four-year-old who has been given the remote to play with - they won’t be able to buy any memberships, as they don’t know your Payment PIN. Something the bill payer should keep very close to their chest.

Finally, cancel the memberships that have been illegally purchased. You might also want to talk to Now over Live Chat, explain you have been the victim of fraud, and see it they will reimburse you. They might well do that….

You can contact Now via Live Chat from this link:-

Chat online

Avoid ‘Get Help Quickly’ on this screen. This leads to the Nowbot, an AI bot that might well assist you in navigating the Help; but as you need to talk to Live Chat, you have already gone beyond that, and all the Nowbot can bring you is frustration.

So how did all this happen? There are several ways Now access can ‘leak’ - disposing of a TV, Stick, or other device with a persistent Now logon on it, without Factory Resetting it first, shoulder surfing, etc., apart from more egregious frauds. But a well-guarded Payment PIN is like a padlock on your purse, at least as far as Now goes, for the foreseeable future.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Mya
Mentor

Hi, thank you so much for this. I have now added a PIN and changed my password so fingers crossed this works.

Thank you again for your help 

RoyB
Legend

@Mya 

That’s a good start!

But if somebody is already logged on with your old password, they can stay logged on even if you change the password, since the password is only checked at logon.

Although such a person won’t now be able to buy any more memberships, they are still getting a free ride on the memberships you keep, and potentially using up one of your 3 slots, if you have Boost, or taking your one and only slot if you don’t have Boost,

Thats why we recommend the Sign Out of all devices step, as well as the PIN and Password steps.

Do you have any idea who the perp might be?