cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV Smart Box Doesn't Turn On

I signed up with NOWTV back in July as there was an offer for a free Smart TV box.

Nearly 3 months on along with a replacement box, the smart TV box still doesn't even load up on the TV. I've changed HDMI ports, reset button underneath etc and even brought the TV down off the wall upstairs as apparently this could be an issue but still no luck. Just a purple/blue light that flashes briefly. Ho

The best Customer Services offer is to do a factory reset but how can I go complete if the box doesnt' even turn on? Is it too much to ask for a working NOW TV smart box? I'm not after any more gestures of goodwill, just a fully functual smart tv box.

Hopefully someone from Tier 2 will fix this for me through here, otherwise there's no point in me being with NOW TV any longer.

11 REPLIES 11
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

I signed up with NOWTV back in July as there was an offer for a free Smart TV box.

Nearly 3 months on along with a replacement box, the smart TV box still doesn't even load up on the TV. I've changed HDMI ports, reset button underneath etc and even brought the TV down off the wall upstairs as apparently this could be an issue but still no luck. Just a purple/blue light that flashes briefly. Ho

The best Customer Services offer is to do a factory reset but how can I go complete if the box doesnt' even turn on? Is it too much to ask for a working NOW TV smart box? I'm not after any more gestures of goodwill, just a fully functual smart tv box.

Hopefully someone from Tier 2 will fix this for me through here, otherwise there's no point in me being with NOW TV any longer.

Hi @Anonymous User, i've assigned myself to get to the bottom of this by the end of day. We can try everything needed. I'm into 9PM tonight so i'll be hoping to have it resolved by then. I'm gonna go look at our own Smart Box in the office first so i'm completely eqiuipped with the right knowledge.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Anonymous User So i'm back now and ready to go. Can you tell me what model of TV you are using? How many HDMI Ports are on the TV? Does the Samrt Box seemingly turn on do the fans make noise within the box?

Also, how many TV's have you tried?

Thanks

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you had the same issue on the original smart box and the replacement smart box where you don't get past the initial setup page and tried different TV sets in your household, then it sounds to me that the smart box is having difficulty accessing your home network to enable the smart box to automatically update it's software.

Have you got the smart box connected to your Router over WiFi or hard wired Ethernet or have you tried both ?

Another customer who had a smart box had similar problems to you and the only way they could get the smart box to set it's self up and carry out the necessary software updates for the box to work properly, was to take their smart box to either a family members / friends house or Workplace where there was a different TV / PC Monitor with HDMI port with an internet connection.

Then after successfully setting up the box and carrying out a forced software update on the smart box at another address, the smart box then seemed to work perfectly fine on their own television in their home setup.

I know it not an ideal suggestion and maybe not practical in your circumstances, but i thought i should mention it here, just in case the NowTV Team run out of things for you to try.

Hopefully the NowTV Team will get it sorted out for you, with a much simpler and quicker solution.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@schnapps wrote:

@Anonymous User

If you had the same issue on the original smart box and the replacement smart box where you don't get past the initial setup page and tried different TV sets in your household, then it sounds to me that the smart box is having difficulty accessing your home network to enable the smart box to automatically update it's software.

Have you got the smart box connected to your Router over WiFi or hard wired Ethernet or have you tried both ?

Another customer who had a smart box had similar problems to you and the only way they could get the smart box to set it's self up and carry out the necessary software updates for the box to work properly, was to take their smart box to either a family members / friends house or Workplace where there was a different TV / PC Monitor with an internet connection.

Then after successfully setting up the box and carrying out a forced software update on the smart box at another address, the smart box then seemed to then work perfectly fine on their own television in their home setup.

I know it not an ideal suggestion and maybe not practical in your circumstances, but i thought i should mention it here, just in case the NowTV Team run out of things for you to try.

On top of @schnapps post. You can use your phone as a Hotspot and use that for a network just for the updates 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

This is all well and good but surely Now TV can do this for me?

Everyone I have spoken to have their router in one room and tv aerial in another room so are unable to help me
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried on a Samsung LE37C530F1W tried all 3 HDMI ports with no luck

Also taken my Polaroid PT2-40LED14 off the bedroom wall and tried both HDMI ports with no luck.

There is only 1 TV aerial in the house (living room) and that provides a signal directly to both TV's.

As for the NOWTV smart box, a purple/blue light appears however there doesn't appear to be anything booting up inside the box
Anonymous User
Not applicable

As the smart box doesn't even load a screen I have no idea if connected to internet however an Ethernet cable is attached from the router so in theory there should be a hard connection
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The whole issue is trying to get the NOWTV smart box to pay nice and talk to a HDMI port. Once this is resolved I'll be able to set up etc
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:
The whole issue is trying to get the NOWTV smart box to pay nice and talk to a HDMI port. Once this is resolved I'll be able to set up etc

Hi @Anonymous User

Can we just check something with you, Has the box ever worked by bringing up the NOW TV screen on your TV ?