cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Not getting free channels via ariel

Hi all.

I have just brought a Now TV Box and set it up via the network fine. My problem is that when I’m trying to get the free channels via my rooftop Ariel, the box cannot find any connection. I have a female Ariel connection in the wall, which I am plugging a male connector into connected to the co ax cable. This in turn is connected direct to the box.

Any ideas where I’m going wrong?

Thanks in advance

9 REPLIES 9
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I am guessing when you initially setup the smart box you tried scanning for the TV channels ?

From the Freeview Coverage Checker Tool linked below how many channels should you be getting at your household ?

https://www.freeview.co.uk/channels-at-your-address#HSRTdzAA0ipMzsIe.97

I would also double check that there is no current maintenance work on your regional transmitter or relay in your area by checking this website below.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/planned_engineering_works

If the above seems fine, maybe try a factory reset and try setting up the smart box again from scratch.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Forget to ask the question, when you connect the TV Roof aerial directly to your TV inbuilt tuner (bypassing the smart box) are all the channels showing and working fine ?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No, I get nothing when doing this either.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you are getting no channels from either your inbuilt TV tuner or when connecting the aerial directly into the smart box then it sounds like there might be an issue with the TV aerial wiring.

Have you got a spare coaxial cable that you could try from the TV wall socket to either your TV aerial input socket or the smart box aerial input socket ?

Also, if that fails have you got a friend / neighbour or family member living close that you could test the smart box on their TV aerial (this may not be practical in your situation) which would prove if there is an issue with your aerial wiring if the smart box Freeview channels works on somebodies eles aerial.  

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Make sure that the coaxial cable is plugged into the TV aerial wall socket and the smart box, then try re scanning the TV channels by going into the box menu settings.

If you are going to try a factory reset in the box menu settings, make sure the coaxial cable is connected to both smart box and TV wall socket.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you are still getting no TV signal from either your inbuilt TV tuner or the smart box, maybe ask your neighbour if they are encountering any difficulties at the moment with their Freeview channels from their roof top TV aerial.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well resetting the box didn’t work at all and my neighbour has Sky so doesn’t use the Ariel. I’m feeling a bit dishearten about the Now box. Feel like I’ve thrown my money away.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

If you are not receiving any channels when your TV aerial is connected directly into your Television aerial input socket and you have tried re scanning for TV stations on your television set, where you have also tried connecting the TV aerial directly into the back of the smart box with the same results.

Then i don't think there is anything wrong with the smart box or your inbuilt TV tuner and you need to look into your TV aerial setup.

Alternatively take the smart box back to the Retailer you purchased it from and ask for a refund.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi.

Thanks the reply.

I scanned for channels when I first got the box (Sunday) which is when I realised I would need to use an Ariel and coax. 

Have done the checks and I should be getting 93 Freeview channels and 16 HD channels. There are no planned maintenance works happening in my area.

Should I connect the Ariel and reset the box or leave the Ariel unplugged whilst resetting?

Thanks