cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Out of home use of sport pass

Tomorrow evening I will be in a travelodge which does not have access to Sky sport.

Can I take my computer and Now box to access sky sports with a sky pass. If so, what is the process?

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Hi there, welcome. 🙂

Completely ignore what was here, see my below post.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Without other hardware it's unlikely you'll get the NOW TV box to connect to the hotel internet (either Wifi or Ethernet). Also the TVs are likely to be locked down and won't take other HDMI inputs (although a Google for hotel mode along with the model might unlock them).

Check the connectivity prices and see if you can stream other free services (iPlayer) before buying any passes (if you don't have an active one already).

You might find it easier and cheaper to find a nearby bar.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

Without other hardware it's unlikely you'll get the NOW TV box to connect to the hotel internet (either Wifi or Ethernet). Also the TVs are likely to be locked down and won't take other HDMI inputs (although a Google for hotel mode along with the model might unlock them).

Ok, completely ignore my above post.

I've been to a Premier Inn before where there is a strip of ports below the TV, for HDMI, USB etc., but a quick search says Travelodge does not have these.

You also only get 30 mins wifi which means you won't be able to watch very much.

As @Anonymous User said above it might just be better to go to a bar or similar.

Yes, I find that Premier Inn is superior to travelodge in respect of connectivity to a TV and provision of wifi. TVs can take an HDMI cable from the laptop. I've avoided taking boxes on the road and use the laptop! Premier Inn basic wifi is now free (but not sufficiently powered to watch streaming video). Alternatively they have a faster wifi service that can support streaming but it's chargeable, so I prefer to take a 4G mobile wifi hotspot with me when staying away and use that sparingly (i.e. only for "must see" events), otherwise I choose a hotel with included internet (preferably ethernet) or wait until I get home and catch up from there.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

For anybody interested, the good news is NOW TV boxes can now be used to connect to public wifi networks that require authentication via webpage, which should help users wanting to connect to eg some hotel or student networks.

Currently this is available on the standard black NOW TV box, more details here
https://help.nowtv.com/article/use-now-tv-device-in-hotel-or-student-accommodation